losing prime on equipment above water level

Drosey

May 4, 2016
Auburn
My pool equipment is about 12 ft above the pool and 16 ft from the edge. I've installed a new Waterway cartridge filter and replumbed the suction side to include Jandy check valves on both the skimmer side and the suction cleaner side. These are joined together with a 3-way valve and then the plumbing angles down at 45 degrees to the pump. Nothing seems to be leaking. Pump basket o-ring is new and lubricated. When primed and running there is great circulation in the pool but no pressure reading on the filter gauge and hardly any air comes out of the air relief valve when it is opened. Pump loses prime after being off for several hours in spite of the new check valves. I'm thinking of plumbing in a 2 ft high loop on the return side after the filter to force water to stay in the filter tank. Does this sound reasonable?

Welcome to TFP.

In a sealed system you shouldn't lose prime or need check valves or a riser loop to maintain it. You have what sounds like a small leak in the system. Since it takes hours to lose prime it may be hard to find, but finding it will solve your problem. You installed a cartridge filter so I assume there's no waste port?

No, no waste port. Priming still takes awhile. It seems to require manual filling the pump basket until there is enough water in the filter tank to create back pressure. Even after priming successfully why am I not getting a normal pressure reading from the gauge or significant air from the relief valve?

The pump basket doesn't get air in it for about 2 hours. Then it seems as if all the water has drained from the filter tank and every where else. The filter is brand spanking new so I don't think the gauge has gone bad already.

Double or triple check all the things you added or changed first. It sound like you did a fair amount of suction side plumbing so look at all the joints and make sure all the valves are installed going the right direction. I've seen check valves put in backwards more than once. Any threaded or union joints would be the next mostly likely places to have slow air leak like that. Brand new or not it is possible an o-ring or plug in the filter could be leaking. Before assuming you have no pressure replace the gauge. You said you have good flow at the pool. You cant have flow without pressure.
If its a leak on the pressure side of the pump it will be a very small drip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.