calcium hardness test is 0

May 4, 2016
Bixby OK
Hi This is my first pool. Two days ago filled it with water. Yesterday took tests with 6 way tester and added bleach and baking soda as per the math calculator. Then today I tested again before adding anything more. But so far, both times I tested, the calcium hardness test came out 0. The water never turned red with the first droplets of testing. Thinking that this is an error, I tested my tap water at the kitchen sink and it definately has calcium hardness. My pool water is only 55 degrees and I wonder if this has something to do with it? All other numbers are not too far out of range...todays test results are FC 5, PH 7.8, TA 80, CYA 0.

Welcome to TFP.

Which 6-way test kit do you have, HTH?

I assume that you filled it with water from your tap? How much CH does your tap water show?

I've tested CH in pretty cold water and it hasn't affected the test, so I'd have to say there's something wrong with your procedure.

It's ok to take a sample and take it inside to warm it up a little and so you'll have a better platform to perform the test on.

Hi Laura and welcome to TFP! :wave: Along with Dave's suggestions, I'd like to offer you a few other things to consider:
- Low CH is typically not an issue to be alarmed about with a vinyl pool, although there's nothing wrong with your curiosity from sink to pool comparisons. :)
- You're showing no CYA which is a problem because your FC will be removed from the sun quickly. Have you added any stabilizer yet? If not, you might want to run back to Wal-Mart and grab a bottle and add some via the sock-soaking method we talk about here often. If you're not sure how to do it, let us know.
- Make sure your pH doesn't get any higher than 7.8; reduce with a little acid
- That HTH kit will probably run out of reagents quickly. When it does, I would encourage you to look at the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 (see link below). They are fantastic.

Sounds like you are starting to learn the ropes here, so good job. Keep the links you see below in my signature handy as they will also serve you well when looking for good references to follow. Great to have you with us.

Welcome to TFP!

Please edit your profile and add your state to your location so it shows up over there <----, climate is an important factor when we are helping you with your pool.

Thanks for all your help everybody! I don't know what I'd do without this site! I have a Kokido 6 way test. I plan to upgrade soon to either TF-100 or K-2006. I just wanted to get going right away. I had a thought that yesterday I had accidentally poured too much of the bleach in one spot and I tested not too far from there. So today when I tested the CH again, I took it from another area of the pool and it worked this time! I got a reading of 250. I then re-tested all other chemicals and they came out the same as the last test I took from the area where the bleach was accidentally poured too much, except this time the chlorine level was lower. That makes sense if truly the bleach hasn't moved around the water enough. So, I entered all the numbers in the math calculator (my #s were FC 1, PH 7.8, TA 80, CH 250, CYA 0). Figuring that the bleach hasn't moved around enough seeing as yesterdays FC was 5 and taken from where too much bleach was poured in, I didn't do anything to adjust the FC. And seeing as my CH is really close to goal and my pool is vinyl, I didn't add any calcium. But I did add all the other recommended chemicals from the math calculator. I put in 19 oz baking soda, 28 oz CYA (stabilizer) and 4 oz acid (PH minus). I put the CYA in socks and they're hanging in the pool. I read to occasionally squeeze the socks and re-test in a week. Thanks everyone! I think I'm off to a good start.

Yes, good start for sure. You need to add more chlorine. With no CYA the sun probably used up the 4 ppm already. Raise it to at least 3ppm. Starting tomorrow set your chlorine level based in the CYA level you added and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Keep it at target level and never let it drop below minimum.

Oh yes thank you. I read that adding CYA will affect the FC. Here I thought I had to wait a week to test again so that the CYA dissolved. But I'll test again today to see how the CYA is affecting the FC and add more bleach according to math calculator. And seems like I should continue testing every few days as the CYA dissolves and affects the FC. Yes, I"ve had the pump running from the get-go, as soon as we filled the pool! Thanks so much everyone!

CYA protects chlorine from the sun and causes your pool to lose less chlorine. But, chlorine also binds to the CYA buffering its harshness tremendously. Chlorine level should be set based on the CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Starting today assume that the CYA that you added is in the pool and chlorinate based on that number. Test PH and chlorine daily until you understand how your pool behaves and can reliably predict it. And always test before and after big swim days to make sure the pool is sanitary. Letting the chlorine level drop below the minimum level for your CYA leaves the pool unsanitary, increasing the possibility of person to person disease transmission and algae growth.

Thank you! I forgot about the Chlorine CYA chart. I hope soon this will all become second nature to me. I tested again today and will test everyday. So I tested today and in the math calc I entered 40 as my CYA in both Now and goal column because that's the goal I aimed to reach based on the amount I put in the pool water. According to chart, that would mean my target FC is 5 and that's what I put in the goal column of the math calc. Then I let it calculate everything and I added what was recommended. I will continue to test everyday and this weekend I'll order a good test kit on line (TF-100 or Taylor K 2006).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.