Re-plumb old setup

Hello all
first time poster, but have read many threads here. I am experiencing an air leak somewhere in my system, and have decided to install new Jandy never-lube valves and redo all the joints at my pumping station. I have attached a photo, which shows a small branch coming off one of the pool return lines. I am not sure exactly what that is. The booster inlet and return come directly out of the slab. The atmospheric vent is from the spa. I assume that is a suction safety feature? Not sure. I have a spa with a spillover, and a waterfall at one Corner of the pool. I assumed one of the 2 inch branches fed the waterfall, so am not sure what the smaller branch might be. Anyway, just plan to retrofit, so it's not entirely messes say for me to know, but I am curious. Also, I plan to install an inline chlorinator, and was going to go with an amber Rainbow unit. Is there an obvious location in this setup I should be looking? I am not opposed to a liquidator, but haven't made the leap to "must have" yet. Any observations on how I might improve this setup, or installation tips are much appreciated. I won't be automating at this time. The filter, which is out of view is a newer Hayward D.E. Unit. Thank you in advance for any help.

kwFaiA5.jpg

Larry

Hi, Larry! :wave:

That small diameter pipe with the check valve in it is a spa bypass. That means even when the valves are set to return to pool, some water always goes to the spa. Right now it appears the spa is shut off completely on both sides, judging by the valves.

The air intake is so you get bubbles in the spa. There's a venturi setup in there somewhere underground where the air line meets the return.

Beyond that, it's hard to tell. Probably need more pictures to really figure out what goes where. And you'll just need to start playing with valves and figure out what goes where. Just keep in mind that the innard of those three way valves are shaped a lot like the handle. The valve inside is triangular, and is wide enough to completely block a port.

My guesses -- you'll have to verify this physically. Right click/ open in new window to see full-sized.
LARRYPLUMBING.jpg

Hi, Larry! :wave:

That small diameter pipe with the check valve in it is a spa bypass. That means even when the valves are set to return to pool, some water always goes to the spa. Right now it appears the spa is shut off completely on both sides, judging by the valves.

The air intake is so you get bubbles in the spa. There's a venturi setup in there somewhere underground where the air line meets the return.

Beyond that, it's hard to tell. Probably need more pictures to really figure out what goes where. And you'll just need to start playing with valves and figure out what goes where. Just keep in mind that the innard of those three way valves are shaped a lot like the handle. The valve inside is triangular, and is wide enough to completely block a port.

My guesses -- you'll have to verify this physically. Right click/ open in new window to see full-sized.
View attachment 47500

What a great post; much appreciated Richard. Here is another pick that shows the branch I was wondering about. There are two dedicated fitting out of the slab for the booster. Additionally, the pool return valve has been in that position since I moved in, yet the waterfall does flow, so I am a bit confused about this setup..

i8Y6zCI.jpg

What a great post; much appreciated Richard. Here is another pick that shows the branch I was wondering about. There are two dedicated fitting out of the slab for the booster. Additionally, the pool return valve has been in that position since I moved in, yet the waterfall does flow, so I am a bit confused about this setup..

i8Y6zCI.jpg
Okay, if those two feed the booster, then that extra T must feed the waterfall. All you have to do is turn the valve visible in the picture 180 degrees. That should send everything somewhere else and you'll see where it goes and if the waterfall stops.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.