Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: slaming pool for days

1. Back To Top    #1

slaming pool for days

opened pool to swamp. slammed by forum. using test kit i bought here i have seen little success. my numbers are ph-7.6 fc-32 cc-. 25 ch-100 TA-120 cya-80
    i have maintained this for 3 days. sweep pool daily. backwashed daily. overnight it lost no chlorine and keep numbers from night before. i am swg and have 3000 salt level but turned off last night for test. i can barely see shallow end through green.
    any help would be great!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: slaming pool for days

btw vinyl inground pool 18000 gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Donny! That is a bummer you have not seen any improvement. Could you post pictures of it when you started and where it is at now? Looking down at your steps is the best place to take the pics. Use Photo bucket with the IMG code so the pics show up in your post.

How often are you testing and adding FC each day? What are you using to add the FC?

Lets see if we can figure out this puzzle. The pics will help us the most.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

i will try. no pictures at start. testing 3 times per day. using 8.25% bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Kim beat me to the enter key!!

You're doing great! Have you been taking pictures each day? The best place is steps or a ladder that goes down into the water. That way you can see the progress from day to day.

You have left the SWG off during the SLaM? If not you won't see any FC loss.

How often have you been checking the FC?

Also, feel free to post those pics. We love 'em and might be able to spot something that needs addressing.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

7. Back To Top    #7

Swg off. Checking 3 times day for 3 days.

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh yeah ... THAT's green. Remember that 3 days is, by average SLAM timelines, very short for a SLAM - especially for a pool that is a green swamp. Those easily go 1-2 weeks. There's also no need to do the OCLT yet, it's way too early. Don't bother with it until the water is clear. I would also recommend adding your pool info to your signature which may help give us some more ideas. Later, make sure to look behind the light niche if you have one. With a SLAM, patience is key.

Lastly, what's your location? Please update when you can. Also, where do you get your fill water from (city, well, etc)?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok thanks will update later. New county water last year. Been doing this for 15 years and this is by far the hardest time i have had. Calcium level is low would this make difference? What should it be for vinyl?

10. Back To Top    #10

I live in NC. Pool water is 74 this morning.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Is it possible to check more often? What is your FC loss, with the SWG off, between testing times? Also, what kind of filter do you have? You have been running it 24/7, right?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Low calcium is not an issue for a vinyl pool which yours appears to be (0-300). But I am concerned about the new county water. I hope it doesn't have excessive metals in it. Regardless, the first step is the SLAM, and you appear to have the right numbers (FC for your CYA, etc). Now it's just going to take a while for the bleach to do it's job. Once the algae is killed and filtered-out, if the water becomes a pretty, clear (emerald) green, we may have to discuss the metals issue. Hopefully not, but we'll cross that bridge later.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

13. Back To Top    #13

Sand running 24. Not more than 1 loss between tests

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok thanks will update later

15. Back To Top    #15

Have you ever done a deep cleaning of your sand filter? Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

That may be an issue as well.

16. Back To Top    #16

No but replaced sand 5 years ago

17. Back To Top    #17

Okay. Well, after 5 years, that may be something to consider (deep cleaning) as the SLAM goes on. For now, try to hang in there with the bleach and maintaining the FC level along with everything else you've been doing. Keep us posted over the course of the next few days and hopefully the water will begin to lighten and/or transition to show you sings of improvement. We'll watch for any other changes or questions you may have.

18. Back To Top    #18

+1 to what everyone is saying. Be patient, as long as the green is not from copper, you will see results soon. Have you used any copper based products (things with 'blue' in the name, copper based algaecide)? If there was a lot of algae, it will take a few days before you see the magical green-to-blue transformation. I personally would not worry about deep cleaning your filter at this point, save that step till the water is looking blue. It will give you something productive to do during that dreaded period waiting for the water tpo go from blue to clear.
    30'x52'' AGP 21,000 Gallons
    TWM 2.64 SF Sand Filter w/ Century 1.5 HP Pump
    BBB'er for life!
    TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

No copper! Thanks for insight

20. Back To Top    #20

Donny here is a good testing schedule. See if it is doable with life happening:

-first cup of coffer-test and add

Home, take shoes off-test add

Dinner, glass of wine-test add

right before bed-test add

That will be 4 times. See if this works for you.

The home one is a good picture taking time.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast