First official tests are in!!!

Dec 29, 2015
Chino/CA
So, I finally got my TF-100, took the tests today when I got home and here are the results:

FC 10
CC 0.5
PH 7.5
CH 750
TA 130
CYA 110

I've been in this house for about 6 months now, I've been relying on the local "pool store" to do my testing up until now, I'm pretty confident I performed the tests accurately being my 1st attempt. The pool store lady explained that this areas water has a high calcium content, is there anything I can do about that? Since I got here I've known about the high CYA, I suspect the previous owners were floating pucks and rarely had swimmers splashing water out. I've drained some water about a month ago, but it seems I may have to drain more, or can I just wait until my kids start swimming more which will result in water loss and me filling back up?

For the most part, the pool is blue and clear, I do have some yellow algae here and there, I've been brushing once a week and the pump runs 6 hours a day. Since I moved in I have also cleaned out the filter twice.

Also, for reference here is a thread I started with pictures of my equipment:

New pool owner needs help in So. Cal.

How did you get a CYA of 110?The test stops at 100 and is logarithmic.

I would suggest replacing half the water to lower the CH and CYA. And then follow the SLAM process to clear up the algae.

I saw the CYA only goes to 100, the last time I took a sample to the pool store was last week and that's the number they gave me. It supposed to rain around here on Saturday, so Ill drain some this weekend, should I be worried about floating the pool?

now you have the trusty TF100, lets get the real CYA number :)
take 1 quart pool water and 1 quart tap water and mix well

use this as the water to complete CYA test, its not as exact but its close..

Yes to do it the diluted cya test we would still use the tube you just want to use half pool water have tap water to start with. Odds are that draining half at the same time will not be a problem. But there's always a small risk. Although since we don't know how high your cya really is even a 50% drain may not be enough and you might have to do it again.

Just finished filling it back up after draining half or more!!!

FC 3.5
CC 0.0
PH 7.8
CH 500
TA 160
CYA 60

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, as my intention was to lower the CYA and it looks like it worked!! Also my CH lowered as well!! But,. why would the TA go up? I also notice the Ph went up a bit.

What numbers should I be shooting for?
At this point, whats my next step?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not really, 4 feet shallow, 8 feet deep =6 feet. [emoji2]

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response. :)

no problem, here comes a guestimate :)

40x16 at 5 feet deep =23900, so go with 24000 Gal in the top of poolmath

22k......got it!!

This Friday is my next day off and I plan to start the SLAM process then, I plugged all values into the calculator and its telling me add the following:

3 quarts of bleach
1 quart of MA

I know the MA I will definately be adding tonight, should I still add the bleach too or just wait for the SLAM this coming weekend?

I can start tonight, won't be able to start to atleast 9pm (drive home, dinner, get kids ready for tomorrow) so I will only have a few hours tonight to monitor.......then tomorrow I have to leave for work 6am.....I thought I would have to test every hour after initial start?

Should I start by adding the MA 1st?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.