Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First official tests are in!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

First official tests are in!!!

So, I finally got my TF-100, took the tests today when I got home and here are the results:

FC 10
    CC 0.5
    PH 7.5
    CH 750
    TA 130
    CYA 110

I've been in this house for about 6 months now, I've been relying on the local "pool store" to do my testing up until now, I'm pretty confident I performed the tests accurately being my 1st attempt. The pool store lady explained that this areas water has a high calcium content, is there anything I can do about that? Since I got here I've known about the high CYA, I suspect the previous owners were floating pucks and rarely had swimmers splashing water out. I've drained some water about a month ago, but it seems I may have to drain more, or can I just wait until my kids start swimming more which will result in water loss and me filling back up?

For the most part, the pool is blue and clear, I do have some yellow algae here and there, I've been brushing once a week and the pump runs 6 hours a day. Since I moved in I have also cleaned out the filter twice.

Also, for reference here is a thread I started with pictures of my equipment:

New pool owner needs help in So. Cal.
    Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First official tests are in!!!

How did you get a CYA of 110?The test stops at 100 and is logarithmic.

I would suggest replacing half the water to lower the CH and CYA. And then follow the SLAM process to clear up the algae.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I saw the CYA only goes to 100, the last time I took a sample to the pool store was last week and that's the number they gave me. It supposed to rain around here on Saturday, so Ill drain some this weekend, should I be worried about floating the pool?
    Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

now you have the trusty TF100, lets get the real CYA number
    take 1 quart pool water and 1 quart tap water and mix well

use this as the water to complete CYA test, its not as exact but its close..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

I doubt your grind water level is high enough to worry about. You could always do two 1/3 drains as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Would I still use the CYA vial with the black dot?

I would really just like to do half the pool in one shot if possible, what about the chlorine levels?

Thanks for the replies!
    Chris B.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes to do it the diluted cya test we would still use the tube you just want to use half pool water have tap water to start with. Odds are that draining half at the same time will not be a problem. But there's always a small risk. Although since we don't know how high your cya really is even a 50% drain may not be enough and you might have to do it again.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Just finished filling it back up after draining half or more!!!

FC 3.5
    CC 0.0
    PH 7.8
    CH 500
    TA 160
    CYA 60

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, as my intention was to lower the CYA and it looks like it worked!! Also my CH lowered as well!! But,. why would the TA go up? I also notice the Ph went up a bit.

What numbers should I be shooting for?
    At this point, whats my next step?

Chris B.

9. Back To Top    #9

Your fill water might have high TA.

You may just need to lower the pH and then SLAM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok!

Can someone help me out with the PoolMath?

Im not too sure if my gallon size is accurate: I measured my pool and this is what I came up with:

Also, a picture of how much was drained over the weekend:

Chris B.

11. Back To Top    #11

Depth?

Just do 16.5 x 40 oval with an average depth ... should be close enough to start with.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Is getting a tape measure the easiest way to figure out the depth?
    Chris B.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Not really, 4 feet shallow, 8 feet deep =6 feet.

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response.
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

14. Back To Top    #14

Unfortunately, I don't know either depth at the moment.......I've been in this house for about 6 months now.
    Chris B.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

no problem, here comes a guestimate

40x16 at 5 feet deep =23900, so go with 24000 Gal in the top of poolmath

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    no problem, here comes a guestimate

40x16 at 5 feet deep =23900, so go with 24000 Gal in the top of poolmath
    That is for a rectangle.

I would put it closer to 22k as an initial number to start with.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

22k......got it!!

This Friday is my next day off and I plan to start the SLAM process then, I plugged all values into the calculator and its telling me add the following:

3 quarts of bleach
    1 quart of MA

I know the MA I will definately be adding tonight, should I still add the bleach too or just wait for the SLAM this coming weekend?
    Chris B.

18. Back To Top    #18

Why not start the SLAM now? Looks like your water is fairly clear and you could have it done by Friday
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

I can start tonight, won't be able to start to atleast 9pm (drive home, dinner, get kids ready for tomorrow) so I will only have a few hours tonight to monitor.......then tomorrow I have to leave for work 6am.....I thought I would have to test every hour after initial start?

Should I start by adding the MA 1st?
    Chris B.

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

More than twice a day, less than every hour
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast