Wet Edge Satin Matrix Midnight Sea - Heat Benefits?

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
Hi, I am having a hard time picking a Wet Edge pool finish. I can barely settle on paint for the walls or where to nail a picture hanger. So picking a finish that will hopefully last 20+ years is torture. I need your encouragement that we're making the right decision:)
The main reason I like Midnight Sea is b/c of the heat benefits of a darker finish pool. We'll probably never get a gas pool heater installed (we have an electric heat pump now). We have a solar cover and keep the heat pump set to 76. During the mid summer, we don't often see it going below 76 - usually, it hovers around 82/83. So an increase in temp is welcomed.
We have an earthy/natural feel around the pool due to the rock wall, waterfall, trees/mulch. so I thought a lagoon pool would be OK, but our biggest concern is that the pool is only in sunlight from around 9:30am to 3:30pm.
I need some encouragement to go with the midnight sea. Anyone absolutely love it on their pool? Have you noticed an increase in heat from it?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5352&stc=1&d=1275403984

Guessing we'll never see this type of blue again with the Midnight Sea finish
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11866210_10153669799968984_1915809181110478846_n.jpg?oh=d11ccd77510f4cc1c8120c3a377907f0&oe=57AC9802

Thanks Jason - oddly enough, the Wet Edge video on dark finishes actually talks about the heating aspect in a negative light (i.e. it might feel like bath water in TX), and our PB recommended the same. Hopefully other folks will chime in.
Thanks

We are happy with our black pebblesheen. Our pool gets some shade almost all day. I don't know how much warmer a dark bottom makes a pool but it isn't too much for us. We have 5 solar panels and are adding a small heat pump this spring to augment the solar panel heat in spring and fall. We often run the solar panels in summer months to maintain heat after cool fronts, rain, windy days. We rarely have to use the solar panels at night to cool the pool in August.

Thanks everyone . We drained the pool and they started to chip away at the tile line. I finally saw the original gray plaster of the pool and it was much darker than I ever thought so I feel more comfortable about our decision. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.