Looking to build a pool...need advice

gocubs418

May 3, 2016
Dallas/TX
Hello, I am looking to build a pool just like this one IMG_9549-2.PNG - Google Drive

I found the builder who did this and he is going to have his bid to me tomorrow. However, he chooses to install Ozone systems and won't touch Salt water. I am really torn as I absolutely love the work he did but I want a salt water system (I think).

This is a very important purchase. What are some basic Do's and Dont's that I should be aware of? Any thoughts on Ozone, I believe he installs Del Ozone Total Eclipse 2.

Thanks
Chris

Nice looking pool, someone will be along to explain better than I can why Ozone is not a great option.

SWG is frowned upon by many builders most who don't maintain pools past the first month so soften their bias is not based on time tested experience. To be fair their bias is not completely unfounded when it comes to natural stone in dry climates but even that can be managed.

The reason for my answering you post is to say be cautious about choosing a builder that tells you they absolutely will not do something you want that is within the norm of a build. You want them to inform you, and guide you and give you the pros and cons of various decisions. It would be one thing to say I can't warranty you deck from salt damage if you go with this option but if you have not even got a quote and they are telling you what you can't have I would call it a red flag.

If you want a SWG do some research (very easy to do on this site) and decide if it is right for you. I have seen only a couple that regretted it and of those it was bad luck with equipment/cost of replacement not damage related to salt.

Nice looking pool, someone will be along to explain better than I can why Ozone is not a great option.

In defense of this pool builder, he has explained the effects of salt water systems: corrosion on equipment, damaging on natural stone and coping, scaling on the pool if the pH levels are whacked....

I haven't gotten the itemized list but I presume he is going to offer a Chlorine system that is supplemented with the Ozone generator. It looks like it uses the Corona Discharge method coupled with the UV.

I am just kinda stuck in the middle here with two builders saying this:

"If someone is trying to sell you Ozone, that guy is smoking crack" - Salesman 1
"Of course he doesn't believe in Ozone, he is getting rebates and free trips to sell you a Salt Water System" - Salesman 2

I just wanted a pool/spa that is turn key and that I don't have to buy $150 dollars worth of chemicals monthly to keep it looking nice.... which after my research is pointing me to Salt Water System, not saying its perfect, but its definitely better at "low maintenance".

In defense of this pool builder, he has explained the effects of salt water systems: corrosion on equipment, damaging on natural stone and coping, scaling on the pool if the pH levels are whacked....

I haven't gotten the itemized list but I presume he is going to offer a Chlorine system that is supplemented with the Ozone generator. It looks like it uses the Corona Discharge method coupled with the UV.

I am just kinda stuck in the middle here with two builders saying this:

"If someone is trying to sell you Ozone, that guy is smoking crack" - Salesman 1
"Of course he doesn't believe in Ozone, he is getting rebates and free trips to sell you a Salt Water System" - Salesman 2

I just wanted a pool/spa that is turn key and that I don't have to buy $150 dollars worth of chemicals monthly to keep it looking nice.... which after my research is pointing me to Salt Water System, not saying its perfect, but its definitely better at "low maintenance".

Well if you use the TFP method, you won't be spending $150 monthly on chemicals whether you get a SWG or not. Bleach is $2.96 a gallon where I live, and Muriatic Acid is a little more. So maybe $20-$30 a month, and that's on the high end.

You can always install the swg after the fact. Try it his way for a season even. Then have someone put the swg in if you are not happy with the results.

Well if you use the TFP method, you won't be spending $150 monthly on chemicals whether you get a SWG or not. Bleach is $2.96 a gallon where I live, and Muriatic Acid is a little more. So maybe $20-$30 a month, and that's on the high end.

You can always install the swg after the fact. Try it his way for a season even. Then have someone put the swg in if you are not happy with the results.

Well, I really don't want to pay $60k to just switch some equipment over in a year.

I am really interested in becoming a TFP guru and trying this method.

I really just want a pool/spa and make my $60k get me the best I can :-?

Now, I haven't gotten his price yet however I do believe that he would be able to build me the best pool and provide the customer service. However, I don't like the idea of spending a few bucks on "bunk" science.

The truth is SWG vs liquid chlorine cost near the same most of the time. SWG you pay 95% of the cost up front and chlorine you pay for 1 gallon at a time. In either case if you fallow the methods on this site your chemical costs will be in the tens of dollars a month not hundreds. There are many members that spend a couple to a few hundred per year. I am on pace to spend $350 this my first year, and I anticipate it being less next year when my acid demand falls. I like you wanted something that was lower maintenance, I was going to go SWG but decided on a Stenner injection pump instead because the startup cost was a little less. You are correct in you assumption that the SWG will be less maintenance to start you will still need to test you pool daily and you might even need some liquid on hand to supplement until you get the system fully dialed in. After that you can probably get away with testing every 2 to 3 days. I think SWG is a great option i would not worry about equipment corrosion in the slightest from what I have read you can expect equipment to die a natural death long before the salt might get to it. If you are going natural stone you can seal it and or be vigilant about spraying it down if you get some splash out. Funny part is the couple of photos I have seen of salt damage would not have bothered me in the slightest if it were my pool they were simply some minor flakes that came up but guess what there was a whole lot of stone left under each flake but it has more to do with personal tolerance for such things.

The truth is SWG vs liquid chlorine

Would you mind posting more information about this Stenner Injection Pump? Is this a regular Chlorine System?

Better yet, what do I need to tell the builder in order to get this type of system?

I want the lowest maintenance coupled with lowest chemical cost if possible.... sounds like SWG might be the way to go, but I am getting natural stone so maybe this chlorine? way is better.

Stenner is more of a DIY option vs a full fledged turn key product. Everyone calls it a Stenner system because "Stenner" makes a good reliable peristaltic pump. I don't have a break down of the various parts but in simple therms it consists of a pump tied into the return plumbing a tank of Chlorine and a timer or relay on your automation system to run the pump while your pool filter is operating. If you do a search there are several build threads here and here are two I just pulled up quickly.

My coping is stamped concrete with a dark color hardener in it, so salt would not be much of a problem for me even if I were concerned (I am not). BTW liquid chlorine has salt in it albeit small amounts but over time you are going to get some in there either way. Rain and splash out will probably keep the levels lower with liquid chlorine than SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stenner is more of a DIY option vs a full fledged turn key product. Everyone calls it a Stenner system because "Stenner" makes a good reliable peristaltic pump. I don't have a break down of the various parts but in simple therms it consists of a pump tied into the return plumbing a tank of Chlorine and a timer or relay on your automation system to run the pump while your pool filter is operating. If you do a search there are several build threads here and here are two I just pulled up quickly.

My coping is stamped concrete with a dark color hardener in it, so salt would not be much of a problem for me even if I were concerned (I am not). BTW liquid chlorine has salt in it albeit small amounts but over time you are going to get some in there either way. Rain and splash out will probably keep the levels lower with liquid chlorine than SWG.

Would the decking required in the picture in my OP work with Salt?

Here are a few thoughts on choosing a PB. I'll leave the sanitation method discussion to those already involved.

Finding a PB you trust and can work with through thick and thin is the ultimate goal. It is also very helpful if the are reasonably priced versus the competition. Any PB can build the pool you show. If he isn't willing to work towards your goal of getting the pool you want up front, how interested will he be on listening to the five changes you want to make along the way? Tip - You will make changes and have issues. You need a PB you can be comfortable is going to "see it your way" even though he may have a different preference. It's OK for PB's to express preferences, it's not OK for them to force them on you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.