Worms in the pool

Me too. I just opened my above-ground pool last weekend and had a ton of worms. However, I did not cover my pool for the winter, so I thought maybe some birds just dropped them in. I have to say that this was the easiest pool opening ever. It took my husband and me less than one hour. Our pool was dirty, but no algae. I tested the pool and it was great. No more dirty scummy winter pool cover to clean!

tj_shopper said:
Me too. I just opened my above-ground pool last weekend and had a ton of worms. However, I did not cover my pool for the winter, so I thought maybe some birds just dropped them in. I have to say that this was the easiest pool opening ever. It took my husband and me less than one hour. Our pool was dirty, but no algae. I tested the pool and it was great. No more dirty scummy winter pool cover to clean!

Aha! You decided not to cover?! I really debated that... you were pleased? I think next year I won't either.... :wink: :goodjob:

I posted this over in another thread, but this morning I had to hurriedly get up and rig up a hose to drain water out of my pool due to the torrential rainfall we had last night/early this morning. I was out watching the water level drop, when what to my wandering eyes did appear, but earthworms climbing UP the outside wall of my pool! The walls were wet, and those worms were just inching their way up, pretty as you please. I never would have thunk it if I hadn't seen it with my own peepers! :shock:

frustratedpoolmom said:
tj_shopper said:

Aha! You decided not to cover?! I really debated that... you were pleased? I think next year I won't either.... :wink: :goodjob:

Yes, it was one of the best decisions we ever made. If you recall, we have this deck going all around our pool and we get so much wind that we have to use sand bags to hold down the winter cover. Both my husband and I are exhausted hauling up all those sand bags, then cleaning the pool cover. This year, all we had to do was keep an eye on the stuff that gets blown into the pool and scoop it out with the leaf net. When we were ready to open, we just hooked everything up, vacuum and we were finished. We will definitely do it again.

tj_shopper said:
Yes, it was one of the best decisions we ever made. If you recall, we have this deck going all around our pool and we get so much wind that we have to use sand bags to hold down the winter cover. Both my husband and I are exhausted hauling up all those sand bags, then cleaning the pool cover. This year, all we had to do was keep an eye on the stuff that gets blown into the pool and scoop it out with the leaf net. When we were ready to open, we just hooked everything up, vacuum and we were finished. We will definitely do it again.

Yes, I remember your pool - and we are neighbors of sorts, I'm in Homer Glen on the other side of Orland...so when I saw your post, I thought to myself, well heck, maybe I shouldn't bother either... Did your pool freeze solid during the cold spells? What about one of those air pillows, even without a cover, did you use one of those?

When the water wasn't frozen, did you add any bleach and/or circulate the water at all? I'm so curious about this....

Yes, I remember your pool - and we are neighbors of sorts, I'm in Homer Glen on the other side of Orland...so when I saw your post, I thought to myself, well heck, maybe I shouldn't bother either... Did your pool freeze solid during the cold spells? What about one of those air pillows, even without a cover, did you use one of those?

When the water wasn't frozen, did you add any bleach and/or circulate the water at all? I'm so curious about this....

Hi Neighbor! Yes, it did freeze solid. In fact, my youngest daughter wanted to ice skate on it. I told her absolutely NOT!

We closed our pool like normal: disconnected all the pipes, put everything away, lowered the pool water to below skimmer, put on the skimmer cover and the eye cover for the return jet. We did not use the air pillow. We didn't use anything. The water did get high from time to time due to the rain. When this happened, we put in one of those pumps to pump out the water until it was below skimmer. I think we did this twice, especially this spring when we had so much rain. When it got warmer, we put in the Pool Rover to clean the pool and poured in a gallon of bleach. The Pool Rover kicks up the water and circulates it somewhat, so we figured that would be a great time to put in some bleach. We did this about 3 times this spring. I think that really helped. But, basically that was it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.