New to Pools - Pool Closed for FOUR YEARS.....HELP!

My daughters hair gets that way too. I just put some conditioner in right after she gets out of the pool. As far as skin I don't know. Maybe adding some borates? That may be only for the feel of the water though. I'm not sure.
Could you post some test results so we can see what your chemistry is like?

My daughters hair gets that way too. I just put some conditioner in right after she gets out of the pool. As far as skin I don't know. Maybe adding some borates? That may be only for the feel of the water though. I'm not sure.
Could you post some test results so we can see what your chemistry is like?
Yes, defiitely. I will run a full panel tonight so we know what we are dealing with. Thanks! :)

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Include your CSI score from Poolmath. I have noticed that a negative CSI tends to improve water feel. You may also want to add 1500 to 2000 ppm of salt to help that too.

The filter getting dirty might be the cause of reduced suction on your vacuum. You normally record the clean pressure (the pressure right after backwashing, on the gauge at your filter) and then compare as it goes up from cleaning. When the gauge on the filter rises 25% above the clean pressure, you backwash the filter.

Another possibility is too much stuff in your skimmers basket(s) or pump strainer basket.

There's a few possible reasons. I'll assume you're not losing water level?

Probably a lack of water getting to the pump. Does the pump sound any different to what it normally sounds like? Did this happened suddenly and all was well before hand. Have you changed any valve positions recently?

GETTING READY TO CLOSE POOL ����

I have been reading through the winterization section and it all seems pretty straight forward. I do have one question - please don't laugh....if I use antifreeze to close it up since I am in a Northern climate, then how do you get that out in the spring? There were several bottles of antifreeze in the pool shed so I believe the previous owners did use that in the winter but since the pool had not been used in four years, there was not any antifreeze in the lines when we opened it - at least that I am aware. Also, none of the videos on opening the pool talked about antifreeze.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Vickery,

No, we never found out what it was. It was literally adhered to the liner. My husband and kids tried all summer to get up a sample but nothing. I assume that when we take the liner out to replace it, we might have a better chance at figuring out what it is. We still had loads of fun in the pool....and almost forgot about the white blob :)

OK - so I think I've got down what needs to be done in order to winterize. Our pool temp keeps going back and forth between 65-69. Got to love Maine! Summer one day, freezing the next :) I would like to wait for the water to get to below 60 degrees as it talks about in the thread; however, I have several trees above the pool and I don't really want to have to deal with all of the leaves so I might not wait much longer. I cannot find polyquat in the stores so I am going to order online. Do I just need one quart? I didn't see anything that said how much. And my last question is - am I draining it down below the return jet? I get a little confused reading it and want to make sure I am understanding it properly.

Thanks so much!

Heather, Here is a link to our closing process. I hear you on the leaves! NOT fun at all!

Note where it talks about the poly........it says to follow the directions on the bottle. It seems this is one they got right LOL. I know there are many we say to add this way or that but this one follow the directions on the bottle.

I hope this helps:

Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

:kim:

Heather, Here is a link to our closing process. I hear you on the leaves! NOT fun at all!

Note where it talks about the poly........it says to follow the directions on the bottle. It seems this is one they got right LOL. I know there are many we say to add this way or that but this one follow the directions on the bottle.

I hope this helps:

Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

:kim:

Yes, great. Thank you! I have read it a few times and I think I am just so nervous that I will mess it up that I am confusing myself. Going to get the polyquat today and then some more liquid chlorine so I can get her closed up. My pool stayed clear all summer!! I need to go over and become a supporter.

PUMP NOT DRAWING WATER FROM MAIN DRAIN ONCE SKIMMER BASKET EMPTIED:

I am trying to close up my pool tonight. Had the water draining with the valve on Main Drain and then all of a sudden, once the water disappeared from the only skimmer I have, it stopped pulling water. I've tried priming and cannot get it to suck water at all now. I've got the water down to the bottom of the skimmer but still not under the two return jets that I have. My valve is a three four way....You can do Skimmer, Main Drain, BOTH or OFF.

I am up in Maine and really feel like I am running out of time and options to get this thing closed up. Some people keep telling me I don't even need to drain it so I am honestly confused. If I do not need to continue draining it then I can try and proceed with blowing out the lines.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

You won't be able to blow out the lines if your returns are still below water. Also it looks like your valve may be labeled incorrectly. If it stops pumping as soon as there's water to pump (your skimmer being empty) I would think maybe switch to skimmer or both option and see what it does. You may have a problem priming with it in both and drawing air from your empty skimmer. It will at least give you some idea though.
Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.