Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swamp battle

1. Back To Top    #1

Swamp battle

Hello all I believe this is my first post. I've read at detail what I need to do to clear up my pool that wasn't closed properly last year. I didn't create a signature or anything yet, and I just ordered the right test kit from this website.

My question is, I am currently backwashing about every two hours as the pressure starts at about 12 and rises to about 22 in two hours. I really want to be able to let the filter run overnight but I am afraid it can't be left unattended for a complete overnight. I have been testing with the Taylor K1004 and this does not give me a CYA reading, but I added a half gallon of muriatic acid earlier this morning after discovering the PH wasn't even registering below 8.something (the tester doesnt show that high. Any suggestions to let my filter keep on filtering?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swamp battle

Welcome to TFP!!!

Do you have a multi-valve on your filter with a recirculate option? That would bypass the filter.

Remember that a filter will not eliminate the algae. You have a chemistry problem and need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process once your test kit arrives.

Fill out that signature so we know what you have.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am not sure. Would multi valve be the handle i move around to switch between backwash and filter?

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey there Georgem98, nice to have you here with us

Where is Easton? Please add it to your profile so we'll know the climate of your pool if you ever have questions. Thanks!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

I promise to work on my signature by this weekend. Easton is in East PA on the border of NJ. I just took some pictures of the filter and it does look like I have a recirculate feature.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Georgem98 View Post
    I am not sure. Would multi valve be the handle i move around to switch between backwash and filter?
    Maybe ... if you just turn it around to various settings, then yes. If you turn a handle and then pull it up to backwash, then no.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, just saw your new post. That will keep your water moving. You can add some bleach daily while waiting for the test kit, but no knowing the pool size I hesitate to say how much.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you for the quick responses. The pool is such a custom shape, I have no Idea how many gallons it is. My best guess is about 18-20,000 gallons. Without getting into my long story, just yet, I just moved back in and need to re measure the pool to estimate its size. More to folllow, thanks for the help!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Georgem98 View Post
    Multiport Push-pull

If you have the multiport, recirculate bypasses the filter completely.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, at that size, a bottle of bleach daily would be fine ... just wanted to make sure it was not just 5k or something
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi, I had to dig this one up. All debris is out after a month of backwashing, scrubbing, vaccumming..... Now for some fine tuning.

I still need to backwash once every three hours or so, this weekend I'm going to take the filter apart and clean the panels, which I know will help. My question is since I have zero cya, how would you proceed to raise it knowing that i need to backwash so often. Or should I just wait till the weekend till i clean the panels

fc 9
    cc 1
    ch 300
    ta 70
    ph 7.5
    cya 0!

11. Back To Top    #11

You can buy liquid conditioner. It is much more expensive, but you should have as few moving parts, chemically, as you can during a SLAM.

If you start your CYA around 40 and get the proper amount of FC for that, then you backwash, and end up at (say) 30, you should still have the proper FC level for that CYA. But then you have to change your target because the CYA dropped.

Basically, there's no accounting for frequent testing during a SLAM. Chlorine every 15 minutes until it holds, then less often as needed to stay above your target. If you are backwashing a lot, you will need to test for CYA once a day also. Try to keep the CYA around 30. Liquid conditioner will allow you to keep your SLAM as even as possible.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

12. Back To Top    #12

You put the needed amount of granular CYA in a sock or two and hang them either from a broomtick over a return or put the sock into the skimmer and let it dissolve right in to the water. You can speed it up by squooshing it in your hands now and then.

Hope this helps?

Yip
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain