Should I be running my pump, 115 or 230?

I am not a pump expert, but electricity is my thing. 230 VAC is more efficient than 115 VAC. The pump will consume the same power, yes, but power loss in the conductors from the power source to the pump is equal to I²R (current squared x resistance). At 230 volts, the current will be half as much as at 115 volts, and the resistance of the conductors will be the same. So conductor power loss will be 1/4. Having said that, unless your conductor runs are REALLY long between the wall and pump, you will notice no appreciable difference. No bearing on your use case, probably, but I felt the need to share.

You made an error. Resistance of the conductors would not be the same. 115 almost always also would require a higher amperage breaker AND heavier wire, so less resistance.

115 at 20 amps, or 230 at 15 Amps.
115 with 12 Awg wire, or 220 at 14

Add in distance of the run if you want. Still can't be compared "apples to apples" like you stated, and still NO measurable difference in power used unless the run is HUGE!

Well, unless in practice someone actually chose between 115 and 230 but with the SAME gauge wire.

You made an error. Resistance of the conductors would not be the same. 115 almost always also would require a higher amperage breaker AND heavier wire, so less resistance.

I made a couple, but I edited them out! Old memories are hard to dredge back up, it seems. My answer was based on existing wires. If heavier gauge wire is used, of course you are correct. But thanks for checking my work :)

And for the OP - it really doesn't matter - both will supply the same power. 230V will do it with half the amperage ( means you can use smaller wires ). The BIG issue is what is being supplied at the breaker - it's generally easier to stay with what's already there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.