Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I be running my pump, 115 or 230?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I be running my pump, 115 or 230?

Just curious, reason I ask switching from Challenger to SuperPump
    Read somewhere that if it a single switch its 115 if it is 2 its 230.
    Heck I dont know.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I be running my pump, 115 or 230?

Not sure I understand the question. If it's working, then it's likely wired right.

Otherwise, there's no difference and it can run as either as long as the breaker and wires match the load. Uses the same amount of energy.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

What is the question?

Most 2-speed motors are only able to run on 230V. Most 1-speed motors can run on either 115 or 230V.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, just saw you are considering a change. 115/120 would be a single pole breaker and double pole would be 230/240.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

I am not a pump expert, but electricity is my thing. 230 VAC is more efficient than 115 VAC. The pump will consume the same power, yes, but power loss in the conductors from the power source to the pump is equal to IČR (current squared x resistance). At 230 volts, the current will be half as much as at 115 volts, and the resistance of the conductors will be the same. So conductor power loss will be 1/4. Having said that, unless your conductor runs are REALLY long between the wall and pump, you will notice no appreciable difference. No bearing on your use case, probably, but I felt the need to share.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

6. Back To Top    #6

You made an error. Resistance of the conductors would not be the same. 115 almost always also would require a higher amperage breaker AND heavier wire, so less resistance.

115 at 20 amps, or 230 at 15 Amps.
    115 with 12 Awg wire, or 220 at 14

Add in distance of the run if you want. Still can't be compared "apples to apples" like you stated, and still NO measurable difference in power used unless the run is HUGE!

Well, unless in practice someone actually chose between 115 and 230 but with the SAME gauge wire.
    Scott

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreSun View Post
    You made an error. Resistance of the conductors would not be the same. 115 almost always also would require a higher amperage breaker AND heavier wire, so less resistance.
    I made a couple, but I edited them out! Old memories are hard to dredge back up, it seems. My answer was based on existing wires. If heavier gauge wire is used, of course you are correct. But thanks for checking my work
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

8. Back To Top    #8

And for the OP - it really doesn't matter - both will supply the same power. 230V will do it with half the amperage ( means you can use smaller wires ). The BIG issue is what is being supplied at the breaker - it's generally easier to stay with what's already there.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

So its wired and I assume 115, there is no real reason to switch out to 230?

10. Back To Top    #10

Well like I said before if you want to go to two-speed almost all of the two speed motors are wired for 230 volts
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!