New to TFP

fndngserenity

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2016
Auburn, Maine
Hello!

I am fndngserenity and my husband and I are new to TFP. We just purchased a home in February that has an inground pool! (YAY!......I think). The pool was closed and winterized in 2012 by a former owner. The gentleman I purchased the home from never opened the pool during that time. It's an 18x36 rectangle with a Hayward S200 Sand Filter. I'm here because we know NOTHING about pools, let alone an inground pool and we've already put quite a lot of money into trying to get this thing ready for summer. Where we live, summer is not very long so I want to be good and ready by the time it gets here so we can take advantage of our pool.

I am going to head on over to the Älgae problem" threads and post my issues there.

Thank you all!

FS

Hello FS and welcome to TFP! :wave: In some ways, it's good you know nothing about pools because you have no bias or industry info to misguide you. Everyone here will be happy to help you 24/7. But here's what you need to do first:
- Order your OWN test kit - a proper test kit. Please see the TF-100 link below in my sig. Either the TF-100 XL Option or Taylor K-2006C is what you want. I highly recommend the speed stir as well to mix easily. You cannot rely on pool store testing - it's almost always incorrect and they sell you over-priced products you don't need.
- Visit the Pool School page, and refer to the other vital links below in my sig. They are the foundation of your pool and water care.

Once you receive the proper test kit in the mail, you'll post a full set or test results and we'll guide you through the process. No charges here, no sales tactics, no fancy chemicals. Just good old advice. I hope you'll give us a try. But definitely get that test kit ordered as soon as you can. Welcome to TFP!