Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace pump with 2-speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace pump with 2-speed

I have a pump with labels Hayward SW15851X20TL and AO Smith Century 1081 SP1520Z1ESC. I want to investigate replacing the pump motor with a 2-stage pump, but don't know how to research what is compatible. Any guidance, suggestions, or questions are welcome.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, cartridge filter, Jandy Legacy 175,000 BTU heater, unused Zodiak Nature2 mineral sanitizer

John 1:12 "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace pump with 2-speed

Can you provide more information off the motor plate: HP, SF, etc

I am not able to easily find the number you posted. You just need to match the frame type (48Y I think) and the SFHP (SF*HP) for the high speed.
    Likely you could get one of these, but I am not sure which one:
    Power Flo LX Pump Motors - INYOPools.com
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

All the info from the motor plate

FR R48Y
    Type SP
    HP 2.0
    SF SPL
    Code H
    RPM 3450
    Volts 115
    HZ 60
    Class B
    PH 1
    Encl DP
    Amps 15.0
    Amb 50
    Time Cont
    Form PHM

The current pump is 2HP. Is there a rough estimate way to determine if a smaller size would be adequate?
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, cartridge filter, Jandy Legacy 175,000 BTU heater, unused Zodiak Nature2 mineral sanitizer

John 1:12 "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, it is not really a 2HP. The fact that the Service Factor (SF) is listed as SPL, means that the SF less than 1.0. So, it might be closer to 1.5 SFHP, but I am not 100% sure now what is the appropriate replacement motor.

You can certainly go to a smaller pump (1HP is generally plenty), but the motor needs to be at least the size as the impeller in the pump. So to go to a smaller motor, would also likely require a smaller impeller.

Can you confirm that your motor is wired for 115V and not 230V?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I do know that it is wired for 115V.

Does a different size impeller imply that they may not mate together, or something else?

Also, does anyone know what the R represents in the frame R48Y?

6. Back To Top    #6

Based on reading another thread considering 2-speed vs. variable speed pump, I checked out my electric supplier (ComEd) for rebates. There is a $400 rebate for in-ground pools only. I'm sure there is a reason somewhere, but I immediately focus on the injustice since I have an above ground pool.

I'm in no rush to upgrade my pump. It's only in it's 3rd season, but if the cost breakeven point is under 5 years, I would rather do it sooner rather than later.

Another thing I'm considering is going from my current 2HP (or possibly 1.5 SFHP) to a much smaller unit. I don't have solar panels, a spa, or any water features. I use the pump for circulation, cleaning, and heating (gas).

I have read comments that said a 1/2 HP pump would be adequate in seemingly similar setups, but how can I determine in advance?

7. Back To Top    #7

I would suggest sticking with a 1HP 2-speed as many of the AG pumps have the low service factor ... in fact the way that manufacturers play with the numbers, a 1/2HP, 3/4HP and 1HP all could be identical to each other.
    Jason, TFP Moderator