Schedule 80 union fitting - Is this it?

May 3, 2016
Indianapolis
I had a pipe to my skimmer shatter over the winter and I'm building a new one. It has what I think is half of a schedule 80 union on one end of it. There are no markings on it at all except a "3" on the nut, which I assume means the nut is 3". It's on 1.5" PVC.

It attaches to the other side of the union, on my return that then goes underground. I could try and remove the fitting on the underground return, but it's on more than hand tight and I don't want to risk breaking it or the return pipe.

The two pool stores near me were no help, but I think I found the part I need online. Can anyone confirm that the part in this link attaches to a 1.5" PVC and has a 3" nut? No one seems to list the nut sizes and some googling around can't seem to find an explanation anywhere.

The new part: Spears 857 Series PVC Pipe Fitting, Union with Viton O-Ring, Schedule 80, 1-1/2 Scientific

The old fitting(s):
20160503_071104-1024x576.jpg

That would appear to be the right style of fitting, assuming the threads match up. You might be best served getting one locally at a hardware or HD/Lowes type store so you could try it out and return for another if necessary.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks for the advice!

I hadn't even considered that a local Lowe's/etc would have a schedule 80 fitting. I'll check in on the way home and hit a local plumbing supply house if they don't. I think both pool stores acting confused threw me for a loop and got me thinking it was a weirder connector than it may actually be.

I appreciate the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.