Muriatic Acid usage?

My water is:
    FC 8.0
    pH 7.8
    TA 80
    CH 230
    CYA 60
    Salt 3400

I have a Pentair SWG 60 running at 100% for 15 hours per day to maintain the FC. The pool is 30,000 gal.

Question..... How much 31% Muriatic Acid do you think I should be going through per week or month?

30,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Hayward Pheonix 4x Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Hayward 3/4hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Weston, FL

Re: Muriatic Acid usage?

My pool is about 1/3 the size of yours and I've used about 3 quarts in 2 months. So, maybe around a gallon a month?
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Muriatic Acid usage?

That is kind of an excessive amount of SWG run time. That equates to adding 5ppm of FC to the pool daily. The norm is 2-3ppm. Raising the CYA up to around 80ppm would help some and keeping the FC lower according to the FC/CYA Chart would help too.

But, how does the water look? Have you ever Performed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure there is nothing growing in the water?

If you can reduce the SWG output, and let the TA get lower, that would reduce the speed at which the pH rises and thus lower the amount of acid needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!