Replacing weir door...couple questions

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
So I realized (with the help from you guys) that my skimmer SHOULD have a weir door, which it doesn't currently. I didn't know that all skimmer's should have a weir door until I was told so on here. Anyways, I looked under the skimmer lid and it is Pentair brand, so I'm assuming the weir door was a Pentair too. The only thing I see where the door should be is a tab sticking out on the middle top and a small rectangular shape hole on the bottom on each side. I'm assuming that the door will have a tab on each side that sticks into these holes, correct? In order to find the replacement door, all I need to do is measure the width and height of the inside where the door should be right? Or is there some number on the Pentair skimmer lid that may indicate what model door number I need?

Also,I forgot to mention, I did ask the previous owner what happened to the door and he said "it just kept coming off everytime I put it on". When I looked at the holes in the bottom, I noticed that it looked likethere was no space IN the hole for the tab to go into. There are rectangular holes cutout, but when I felt them it feels like the plaster is right up against the hole. Do you guys think that maybe it wasn't staying on bc the hole wasn't deep enough? Maybe whoever installed the pool didn't account for the holes to be there?

My Hayward skimmer lid has a part number on the underside. If you cannot find that, you're pretty safe measuring the width of the opening where the weir would insert and order the Pentair type that matches that style and width.

It could be that the holes are blocked up with plaster. Try using a drill bit close to the size of the hole or slightly smaller to clean it out or make it deeper if your new weir door has trouble staying in.

My Hayward skimmer lid has a part number on the underside. If you cannot find that, you're pretty safe measuring the width of the opening where the weir would insert and order the Pentair type that matches that style and width.

It could be that the holes are blocked up with plaster. Try using a drill bit close to the size of the hole or slightly smaller to clean it out or make it deeper if your new weir door has trouble staying in.

Ok I'll go back, check the part number under the lid, and see if I can match it up to the right door. I'm assuming any masonry drill bit would work to make a little depth in the hole of the plaster. Will I mess anything up drilling into the plaster right there (just me being a paranoid person lol)? I'm going to try first without drilling, but if it comes off, then I bet that's the problem!

I agree.

Drilling is the last thing I would do for fear if anything slips or snags you could do some serious damage.

You can get generic weir doors on amazon in all the various sizes for around 20 bucks.

They include a spring loaded stopper on both sides. You measure the opening, order the door
that would fit, then place it where it goes and pull the pins which then pop the stoppers out to
lock the door hinge in place.

It has enough tension to keep it in place but you can gently nudge
it if it needs to be adjusted up or down or front to back a bit.

Did that on my last pool and it worked well.

Should have been more clear with my drill bit statement. Use the drill bit to simply see if you can clear out debris, plaster or whatever might be in there, by hand. No need to actually drill, just clean it out. You could even use a properly sized flat screw driver to get anything that's loose or compacted inside the hole.

Should have been more clear with my drill bit statement. Use the drill bit to simply see if you can clear out debris, plaster or whatever might be in there, by hand. No need to actually drill, just clean it out. You could even use a properly sized flat screw driver to get anything that's loose or compacted inside the hole.

Do you know if the skimmer housing normally has indentions built in like a plastic box surrounding it or does the housing just have a hole there with no backing? Just trying to figure out if the hole might be clogged or if I start digging in there to clear it and it's only plaster surface inside the hole. I've attached a picture of the outline of the housing, let's say the arrows are pointing to the holes where the skimmer's tabs would go into. Is it built like a box or is that just an open hole in the housing?

So it looks like the plaster fills up the holes on each side, that's why the door kept coming off. I'll probably have to get a universal spring loaded hinge replacement. I measured 8 9/16" x 5 13/16". Anybody have an idea where I can get one to fit these dimensions. I've looked but can't find any to fit that exact size. Maybe 8 1/2" x 5 3/4" would work? Any suggestions? I looked under the skimmer lid and I see a place where it says model number and a silver sticker on top that has the number 987152 in the bottom right corner, but when I Google it, nothing comes up.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a pic of the whole underside of lid, if that helps.

Hey thanks for the link, but I think I'm gonna have to find one with the spring loaded hinges on the sides bc it won't go into the hole bc the plaster fills the hole where it should go into.

Did you try to use a flat screw driver or other tool to remove some of the plaster in the hole? There should be at least 1/8" to 1/4" depth to that hole to get any weir door to seat in there well and not pop out on you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you try to use a flat screw driver or other tool to remove some of the plaster in the hole? There should be at least 1/8" to 1/4" depth to that hole to get any weir door to seat in there well and not pop out on you.
No, I was scared to mess up the plaster, but I think I'll give it a try tomorrow! That would be great if I could remove just enough to get those tabs to sit in there. You don't think I'll mess up anything? Any idea on how thick that plaster is behind there?

Different than OP, but this worked for me. My waterway door didn’t have enough gap for the tabs to hold it in place when there was too many waves in the pool. I rubbed a slightly smaller Phillips head screwdriver around inside the hole and it was enough get some of the grout out to make room for the tabs. Hope this helps someone else. Thank you sir!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.