Yellow stains in my pool - Ascorbic Acid didn't take out all the stains

Jun 8, 2015
Torrington, CT
Last season I used your Ascorbic Acid solution for the yellow stains in my pool after trying an ascorbic acid pill on a small area. It took out most of the stains but not all and the stains returned. I believe it was caused by my pool service crew leaving an Alyn wrench in the shallow end over the winter as I can see the outline of two of these wrenches on the liner. My pool is 16x75 feet, with a vinyl liner. Do you have any suggestions as to how to get the stains out, including the wrench outlines?

Ugh! How frustrating! You can try a full on Ascorbic Acid treatment :

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiLxqmfr77MAhVMFj4KHRsfBDIQFgggMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.troublefreepool.com%2Fthreads%2F2129-Ascorbic-Treatment-to-rid-Pool-of-metal-stains&usg=AFQjCNEpwwVJEEt8j1kpKVYfrmtTdGYOUQ&sig2=unSbdFbLlHWpc5nbBnVwJQ

However, I did this and there are still tiny rust colored stains where my kids barrettes lay at the bottom of the pool. They did not come out. Call the Pool Service Crew and see if they can give you some form of compensation for their mistake.

Try putting some AA or vitamin C in a sock and sink it to the area where the stains are the worst. That should take care of the real bad spots. Then do an overall AA for the rest of the pool. After that you will have to use sequestrant on a regular basis to keep the metal from redepositing on the pool.

A t some point you will have to replace the water to get rid of the metal, but sequestrant can make it manageable until then.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that. My crew won't do anything for me sadly and I'm stuck with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I did the full AA treatment last year and did use sequestrant. With 38,000 gallons of water, I'm not about to replace it. I'll live with the discoloration if I must :-(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.