Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 speed motor, highspeed dead but low one works, is this possible?

1. Back To Top    #1

2 speed motor, highspeed dead but low one works, is this possible?

So I took my pump to Leslie and they said my highspeed is throwing sparks but the low one is working fine, can this be fix or motor needs to be replaced?
    Inground Plaster Pool, Cartridge Filter, Dolphin PRIMALX3, Hayward H400 Heater, Hayward Pump SPX3220X25Z2PE, 17500 Gallons with Spill Over Spa, Non-SWG, Sugar Land (Houston), TX 77478 USA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 speed motor, highspeed dead but low one works, is this possible?

Where is it throwing sparks? If it is near the centrifugal switch, the contacts might be corroded. Sometimes, you can clean them and get it to work for a while but eventually, you may need to replace the motor.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: 2 speed motor, highspeed dead but low one works, is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Where is it throwing sparks? If it is near the centrifugal switch, the contacts might be corroded. Sometimes, you can clean them and get it to work for a while but eventually, you may need to replace the motor.
    I am not sure, this is what Leslie's Pool guy told me. I'll try to clean the area and if the low speed is working, I'll try to buy some as much time as I can before replacing it. Tks.
    Inground Plaster Pool, Cartridge Filter, Dolphin PRIMALX3, Hayward H400 Heater, Hayward Pump SPX3220X25Z2PE, 17500 Gallons with Spill Over Spa, Non-SWG, Sugar Land (Houston), TX 77478 USA