Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter runtime?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Filter runtime?

Hi all,

So thanks to you guys, over the last month since I have purchased my new home with the pool, I have fired the pool guy, got my pool crystal clear, and keeping it that way, and have a good handle on how to keep it that way. But one last item. Since I have bought the house, I have been running the filter 24/7. It does not have a variable speed motor. the previous owner always ran it 24/7.

So how long do I run it? Pool temp is about 74 degrees now, and temps are not too hot yet. I imagine in the height of the summer I may need more runtime, but what about now? is 12 hours enough? too much? I assume run by day, off at night?

Any guidance on filter runtime would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    B2854 Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP single speed motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter runtime?

All you need is well documented here and you can search to find more testimonials. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

This is a good article to review. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

For basic distribution of chlorine, 4 hours a day is plenty for a pool. SWG, VS pump, skimming and filtration desires can have an effect on that number but there are VERY few situations that necessitate 24/7 pump run time under normal maintenance conditions.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, thanks guys. Should have known to look there before posting. My Polaris runs for around 3-4 hours a day (I think, need to double check) I have quite a few trees, so pool can get dirty quick. I may start with 6 hours, with an hour in front of and back of the Polaris run. See what happens.

thanks
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!

5. Back To Top    #5

I think our climates are fairly similar enough that I can make this comparison. I currently run my variable speed pump 3 hours per day at ~2500 RPM (this runs the spillway and suction cleaner) with the SWG on at 50% output and that is actually more chlorine than I want right now. I've also added a very low RPM skimming feature at the end of the day for 2 additional hours (no SWG output when in skimmer mode). So, in total I run my pump for ~ 5hrs per day (3.5 kW-hrs total energy usage, ~$1 day) and my pool water and surfaces are crystal clear and clean.

As the others have said, there is almost never a reason to run a pump 24/7.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

I live 2 hours South of you and I only run my pump for 3 hours a day. 2 hours mid-day and one hour in the evening. For me, that is enough skimming action and that is really all that it needs. Of course I am manually dosing with liquid chlorine and I have a robot that I throw in as needed every 3-5 days but it is independent of my pump.

And since I run my 2 speed pump on low, I barely use any electricity at all
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

So I have switched my filter to run 8 hours a day, from 10am - 6pm, and the Polaris runs between that from 12-4. I still think this is too much based on what I am reading around here. My questions is, how long does it take for the Polaris to cover the pool bottom? Is there any math on that?
    -Paul

8. Back To Top    #8

If it's all in good working order without random hang ups in corners or steps, you'll probably need to run yours til it's clean
    about 3-4 times and time how long it takes to clean the floor for your particular run time.

every pool is different.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.