Reno cost - This sound high?

Jun 5, 2015
middletown, nj
My new house has a nice pool and in good shape structurally. It was painted by the previous owners and either needs to be repainted or paint removed and plastered. Also needs to be retiled. I absolutely want plaster over paint, but my quote seems high. What you think????

Pool:
about 40 feet long (probably a little more, I am not sure) and maybe 15 wide. It is not rectangle, more of odd kidney shape. The deep end is probably 8 feet deep. Spa is circle and about 7 feet across. I did ask for pricing to include installing a hand rain at the pool stairs.

* Remove cover - Drain pool and Spa
* Attach underground drain pump if required
* Remove all existing tile in pool and spa
* Sand blast entire pool and spa removing paint to bare concrete for ultimate adhesion
* Removing all sand blasting debris as per EPA regulations
* Grinding out around fittings and tile line out in pool and spa
* Chip out any loose concrete and repair and patch up any cracks remove debris
* Retile from a choice you choose from samples provided by me
* Retile pool and spa add feature strips to stairs and bench
* Install a hand rail by core drilling 2 2” round holes then grounding it to equipment
* Clean out entire pool and spa
* Acid wash pool and spa prep for bond Kote
* Bond Kote pool and spa surface for ultimate adhesion of new plaster to existing pool shell
* Plaster pool and spa with white silica plaster
* Upgrade pool and spa main drain covers
* Assemble and start pool equipment
* Balance pool water chemistry very crucial to the healing process of the plaster
* For ten consecutive days we will come and brush down the pool and spa

Total: $16,250

I am a 100% DIY kind of guy, but I know my limits. This seem high or relatively accurate?

Also, this site is GREAT. Helped a ton in the water chemistry department when I moved in - had a crystal clear pool all last summer. Thank you!

I know nothing, but considering a vinyl liner is ~$5K to replace this seems reasonable. Again, no experience here but they are doing a lot of work and providing materials. Hopefully somebody with recent knowledge will chime in. But your location is paramount and middletown isn't descriptive enough to provide a basis. Add your state to the left and it won't get lost in the body of the post. Good luck.

Please check with them on this statement "* Install a hand rail by core drilling 2 2” round holes then grounding it to equipment" It should not be grounded but IT SHOULD be BONDED I have seen more expensive quotes and also less expensive, seems like they are doing a lot and if it is done correct I would say the price is worth it. I would get 3 quotes for exactly the same work just to make sure :)

That seems a little high to me as well (although we are in very different markets).

3 years ago we paid about 10k to have all the plaster and tile chipped out and new tile and Pebblesheen installed. Granted our pool is a little smaller and we do not have a spa.

You should certainly get at least 3 quotes for any job.

Granted, I'm in a different market here too, but that doesn't seem too unreasonable. I just paid 24K for a renovation of a 16' x 32' play pool. No spa, but added a water feature, baja shelf, auto-leveler, and another stair in addition to resurfacing the deck with acrylic lace. So your quote is probably a little higher than mine would have been for the same work, but I believe prices are generally a little lower out here. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.