Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reno cost - This sound high?

1. Back To Top    #1

Reno cost - This sound high?

My new house has a nice pool and in good shape structurally. It was painted by the previous owners and either needs to be repainted or paint removed and plastered. Also needs to be retiled. I absolutely want plaster over paint, but my quote seems high. What you think????

Pool:
    about 40 feet long (probably a little more, I am not sure) and maybe 15 wide. It is not rectangle, more of odd kidney shape. The deep end is probably 8 feet deep. Spa is circle and about 7 feet across. I did ask for pricing to include installing a hand rain at the pool stairs.

* Remove cover - Drain pool and Spa
    * Attach underground drain pump if required
    * Remove all existing tile in pool and spa
    * Sand blast entire pool and spa removing paint to bare concrete for ultimate adhesion
    * Removing all sand blasting debris as per EPA regulations
    * Grinding out around fittings and tile line out in pool and spa
    * Chip out any loose concrete and repair and patch up any cracks remove debris
    * Retile from a choice you choose from samples provided by me
    * Retile pool and spa add feature strips to stairs and bench
    * Install a hand rail by core drilling 2 2 round holes then grounding it to equipment
    * Clean out entire pool and spa
    * Acid wash pool and spa prep for bond Kote
    * Bond Kote pool and spa surface for ultimate adhesion of new plaster to existing pool shell
    * Plaster pool and spa with white silica plaster
    * Upgrade pool and spa main drain covers
    * Assemble and start pool equipment
    * Balance pool water chemistry very crucial to the healing process of the plaster
    * For ten consecutive days we will come and brush down the pool and spa

Total: $16,250

I am a 100% DIY kind of guy, but I know my limits. This seem high or relatively accurate?

Also, this site is GREAT. Helped a ton in the water chemistry department when I moved in - had a crystal clear pool all last summer. Thank you!
    30K gal IG w/ hot tub
    Pentair DE filter, 2 single speed pumps

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Reno cost - This sound high?

I know nothing, but considering a vinyl liner is ~$5K to replace this seems reasonable. Again, no experience here but they are doing a lot of work and providing materials. Hopefully somebody with recent knowledge will chime in. But your location is paramount and middletown isn't descriptive enough to provide a basis. Add your state to the left and it won't get lost in the body of the post. Good luck.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Added the Nj to my info. Thanks.

Just scheduled another guy on the calendar to come take a look, but would love some input on if this is even close.
    30K gal IG w/ hot tub

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Please check with them on this statement "* Install a hand rail by core drilling 2 2” round holes then grounding it to equipment" It should not be grounded but IT SHOULD be BONDED I have seen more expensive quotes and also less expensive, seems like they are doing a lot and if it is done correct I would say the price is worth it. I would get 3 quotes for exactly the same work just to make sure
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

That seems a little high to me as well (although we are in very different markets).

3 years ago we paid about 10k to have all the plaster and tile chipped out and new tile and Pebblesheen installed. Granted our pool is a little smaller and we do not have a spa.

You should certainly get at least 3 quotes for any job.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all. Appreciate the input. Have a few more builders coming for a estimate.

And, yes bonded not grounded. Thanks.
    30K gal IG w/ hot tub

7. Back To Top    #7

Granted, I'm in a different market here too, but that doesn't seem too unreasonable. I just paid 24K for a renovation of a 16' x 32' play pool. No spa, but added a water feature, baja shelf, auto-leveler, and another stair in addition to resurfacing the deck with acrylic lace. So your quote is probably a little higher than mine would have been for the same work, but I believe prices are generally a little lower out here. Good luck!
    My renovation completed March 2016; 16 x 32 IG gunite play pool, ~14,000 gallons; Wet Edge Prism Matrix Indigo Blue; Pentair 5G Color LED Light w/controller; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP VSP; Hayward SwimClear C5030 cartridge filter; Hayward Swimpure Plus (Aqua Rite) salt chlorinator system with T-15 cell; Maytronics Dolphin Deluxe 4 DX4 robot cleaner.