Cirucpool RJ-20PLus

I Added another gallon of Bleach.
Since you have been so helpful Cowboy I am taking the opportunity to ask you another question. I have some copper color stains at the bottom of the pool, which have been there since I moved in that house. and now I am seeing some smaller ones adding up at the bottom of the pool, they are dark copper color. It seems there are more appearing every month.

Thank you

No problem :)

Stains are a hard one, and copper stains are really the worst **** just reread your post and you say copper color :) **** can you take a water sample to the pool store and have them check... sometimes they get the metals close..

The bad news, as your FC raises like your doing for the SLAM your metal stains may get worse depending on what is in the water... There may be some things we can do after the SLAM, the number 1 thing is water replacement unless you are on a well then we can go a different direction...

Do you know how you got metal in the water, was it an algaecide? is it Iron or do you know?

Depending on how this goes I may have you start another thread asking about metal or stains, but lets see what you come up with here first :)

View attachment 47529

At at low flow rates they recommend inverting the cell so gas does not accumulate in the cell. This is from the RJ manual.

Also, you can put the flow switch down stream of the cell so you have a nice straight section before the switch.

All of this is in the installation manual.

I see this now that I have my unit in hand. The manual they have online says you should never install it upside down. Thank you, mine is going in upside down.

Nope, your unions unscrew and the cell will drop out. :)

You have a bunch of grey connectors you glue into the PVC, then the blue unions on the cell screw into those.
ok got it, I thought you needed to change the cells in that casing.Also, they send me a a RJ30+ instead of RJ20+. it is more than plenty for my small 5.5K gallon. when I replace the cell, can I just order a the size I want (RJ16+ or Rj20+) or I need to stick to RJ30+?

The controller will operate any of the cells. You change the cell type in the menu of the controller. You may find that you like the RJ30 better though, since you can run it at a lower setting and/or run the pump less, which will save wear and tear on the cell and save electricity from running the pump less.

You must have also gotten yours from Discount Salt Pool during the special where they send you an uprated cell. :)

The controller will operate any of the cells. You change the cell type in the menu of the controller. You may find that you like the RJ30 better though, since you can run it at a lower setting and/or run the pump less, which will save wear and tear on the cell and save electricity from running the pump less.

You must have also gotten yours from Discount Salt Pool during the special where they send you an uprated cell. :)

yes I did. and I got lucky because I got a double upgrade :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not directly related, but holy cow these things put out a lot of chlorine!!! My CompuPool CPSC48 died several days ago. The CPSC48 is also designed for pools up to 60,000 gallons, just like my new CircuPool. When it did work, I had to run my pump 24/7 and the CPSC was at 100%, and I just barely maintained 4ppm FC. CPSC broke, and over the days I waited to return from a trip, a friend dumped one gallon of bleach every two days into my pool, so my FC was very low. I installed the CircuPool yesterday at about 2:00 PM and set it to 100% as I wanted to get the FC up as quickly as possible, and since both were rated the same, I figured they would be pretty close. Well, I went out this morning to test FC with my DPD test, and I quit counting at 80 drops! That's over 40 ppm FC!!! I could not be more pleased, I'm going to be able to turn down the SWG, and I'll be able to put my pump back on a timer so that it doesn't have to run all day.

Not directly related, but holy cow these things put out a lot of chlorine!!! My CompuPool CPSC48 died several days ago. The CPSC48 is also designed for pools up to 60,000 gallons, just like my new CircuPool. When it did work, I had to run my pump 24/7 and the CPSC was at 100%, and I just barely maintained 4ppm FC. CPSC broke, and over the days I waited to return from a trip, a friend dumped one gallon of bleach every two days into my pool, so my FC was very low. I installed the CircuPool yesterday at about 2:00 PM and set it to 100% as I wanted to get the FC up as quickly as possible, and since both were rated the same, I figured they would be pretty close. Well, I went out this morning to test FC with my DPD test, and I quit counting at 80 drops! That's over 40 ppm FC!!! I could not be more pleased, I'm going to be able to turn down the SWG, and I'll be able to put my pump back on a timer so that it doesn't have to run all day.

that is great. did you end up installing it upside down? did anybody try the vertical installation? would it work with a VS pump?

I have it mounted upside-down in the horizontal position. I do have a VS (VF, but you get the idea) pump. It was working fine on my lowest speed. It is turned off at this point, I need FC to come down!

I am getting ready to have my in RJ30+ installed on Tuesday. I am aerating to get my Ph up right now and to lower my TA. would it be a problem if I start the SWG with higher TA (i am at 120 right now).
Also, I bought some bags of Diamond Crystal 40 Lbs Water Softener Salt Crystals last week. now I just read that solar salt might not be the best for SWG as it doesn't enough free chlorine. is hat true?

High TA will not hurt the cell. It will just allow pH to swing up rapidly.

You bought the right salt. Salt is salt. It's an ionic bond between Cl and Na. A brand won't change that. Where did you hear that there is something wrong with that salt?

Remember, salt cell off until all salt dissolved into water.

No problem starting with a higher TA.

Do you know your current salt level? Make sure you measure it before adding the salt because most forms of chlorine have salt in it.

Diamond Crystal has several types of softener labels. I would stay away from the bags that are labeled for iron fighters. Most are fine to use, the salt might take a bit longer to dissolve than "pool salt", but they are all the same once dissolved.

High TA will not hurt the cell. It will just allow pH to swing up rapidly.

You bought the right salt. Salt is salt. It's an ionic bond between Cl and Na. A brand won't change that. Where did you hear that there is something wrong with that salt?

Remember, salt cell off until all salt dissolved into water.

I Read it on that website. they say
"Now you have dead brine shrimp and dead bacteria in your salt which causes you to have organic matter as an impurity. This means the salt generator has to work harder to create chlorine to kill the organic matter. You will have high chlorine levels in the pool just not free chlorine, and it is free chlorine that kills the bacteria that exist in the water."
Salt Water Pools: What Type of Salt Should I Use and Why?

That guy is crazy. I assure you I have no sea monkeys in my pool :)

FYI, I have put over 40 bags of the solar salt into my pool over the last 4 years. Initial start-up took 32 bags.

Now, I'm angry because maybe I WANTED sea monkeys! :)

I think you'll find that most the advice you receive outside of here is garbage.

- - - Updated - - -

You will have high chlorine levels in the pool just not free chlorine, and it is free chlorine that kills the bacteria that exist in the water."

What the heck does that mean? I think I know what he means (CC) but does he?

That guy is crazy. I assure you I have no sea monkeys in my pool :)

FYI, I have put over 40 bags of the solar salt into my pool over the last 4 years. Initial start-up took 32 bags.

Now, I'm angry because maybe I WANTED sea monkeys! :)

I think you'll find that most the advice you receive outside of here is garbage.

- - - Updated - - -

What the heck does that mean? I think I know what he means (CC) but does he?

ahah ok thank you. I need only 3 bags. I will put 2 bags in the pool today, retest salt tomorrow and add more if needed. it should be good for TUesday right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.