What are the small things you wish you would have done on a new build?

jg210302

Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Huntington Beach CA
I have a build thread started but I really want your suggestions on the little things.
For example I just read a post in a build thread that mentioned a light above the equipment area, great idea!

Here are some of the things that I already want to add...
1. Lots of umbrella holders.
2. Extra PVC runs for low voltage lights / speakers.
3. Light above equipment area.
4. ?
5. ?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Jeremy

If I could wave a magic wand and have anything I want on my pool, I would do

- At least 2 returns and 2 skimmers. One of each doesn't feel like enough.
- A sitting shelf
- A shade lighter on the finish. In the store it looked good. In the deep end it's too dark.

I ran tons of PVC conduit everywhere I could think of using a heat gun to make sweeping bends for easy fishing in future. If I had done the research would have gotten a robot instead of pressure cleaner. The cleaner does a good job but for the cost could have got a robot that I suspect would work even better with less power consumption. We had our equipment pad setup to add an SWG and stubbed out for solar this include 2 DP returns in the floor of the pool for the solar when we pull the trigger. I added internet control of our system after the build I thought it was just going to be a cool toy but has turned out to be the way we access the system more than anything, plus it's nice to see how warm the pool will be when I get home. Added a surge protector to the equipment pad most builders don't they only run $35 to $100 cheep insurance. If you have the potential to expand decking beyond what is being installed with the build have them extend the bonding wire into the future area so you can get easy access to it.

atttech, again thanks for the suggestions. Where did you terminate your extra runs of conduit, the equipment pad?

So here is where I am at so far...
1. Lots of umbrella holders.
2. Extra PVC runs for low voltage lights / speakers.
3. Light above equipment area.
4. Stub for future solar
5. Robot, now I need to research what model...
6. Two returns / skimmers?

I don't know what it's called. Here's a pic from late Mar.
o1T8PG5.jpg

It's not terrible, but just 1 shade lighter would have been nice.

I ran some conduits to the pad the ones I anticipated using for power out to various places in the yard for lights connected to the pool automation or radio cellphone charging that kind of thing. I also ran a few north / south and east/west across the yard so I could get a wire or water across decked areas. No actual plan on what they are for, I just know PVC is cheep and you only get one shot while the deck is not in your way.

Oh and an auto drain might have been nice. Our auto fill actually has a port for it so all it would have taken is a short run of PVC from that to one of the french drains. I may still be able to do it because the coping where the auto fill is located is only 18"wide and there is no deck behind it at that point there so with some careful excavation it's still possible but would have been much easier before coping went down. Then again it's the desert called California not much need to drain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No build thread, the pebble fina is great the longevity was the primary selling point that and we wanted a darker finish we went with steal grey. We did get a little mottling but a no drain acid wash got rid of the steaks and the final look is something like dark granite. You can see the grey on the first step and baja shelf by the third step the water starts to turn blue and the deep end is a dark blue, my wife calls it Elvis because she says it looks like blue suede . From about 15 feet away the whole pool is dark blue. this is a distance picture during a recent rainstorm. I will post a couple of pics of the steps tomorrow.

IMG_1160.JPG Edit : Found a coupe on my phone IMG_0997.JPGIMG_0989.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.