Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What are the small things you wish you would have done on a new build?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question What are the small things you wish you would have done on a new build?

I have a build thread started but I really want your suggestions on the little things.
    For example I just read a post in a build thread that mentioned a light above the equipment area, great idea!

Here are some of the things that I already want to add...
    1. Lots of umbrella holders.
    2. Extra PVC runs for low voltage lights / speakers.
    3. Light above equipment area.
    4. ?
    5. ?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What are the small things you wish you would have done on a new build?

If I could wave a magic wand and have anything I want on my pool, I would do

- At least 2 returns and 2 skimmers. One of each doesn't feel like enough.
    - A sitting shelf
    - A shade lighter on the finish. In the store it looked good. In the deep end it's too dark.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Mr. Bruce, what color did you go with that is too dark?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I ran tons of PVC conduit everywhere I could think of using a heat gun to make sweeping bends for easy fishing in future. If I had done the research would have gotten a robot instead of pressure cleaner. The cleaner does a good job but for the cost could have got a robot that I suspect would work even better with less power consumption. We had our equipment pad setup to add an SWG and stubbed out for solar this include 2 DP returns in the floor of the pool for the solar when we pull the trigger. I added internet control of our system after the build I thought it was just going to be a cool toy but has turned out to be the way we access the system more than anything, plus it's nice to see how warm the pool will be when I get home. Added a surge protector to the equipment pad most builders don't they only run $35 to $100 cheep insurance. If you have the potential to expand decking beyond what is being installed with the build have them extend the bonding wire into the future area so you can get easy access to it.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

atttech, again thanks for the suggestions. Where did you terminate your extra runs of conduit, the equipment pad?

So here is where I am at so far...
    1. Lots of umbrella holders.
    2. Extra PVC runs for low voltage lights / speakers.
    3. Light above equipment area.
    4. Stub for future solar
    5. Robot, now I need to research what model...
    6. Two returns / skimmers?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I don't know what it's called. Here's a pic from late Mar.

It's not terrible, but just 1 shade lighter would have been nice.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow, looks great to me!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

I think Skippy and I would have liked to have had a water spigot brought down the hill from our house to the pool to make it easier to add water, water the plants, etc.

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I ran some conduits to the pad the ones I anticipated using for power out to various places in the yard for lights connected to the pool automation or radio cellphone charging that kind of thing. I also ran a few north / south and east/west across the yard so I could get a wire or water across decked areas. No actual plan on what they are for, I just know PVC is cheep and you only get one shot while the deck is not in your way.

Oh and an auto drain might have been nice. Our auto fill actually has a port for it so all it would have taken is a short run of PVC from that to one of the french drains. I may still be able to do it because the coping where the auto fill is located is only 18"wide and there is no deck behind it at that point there so with some careful excavation it's still possible but would have been much easier before coping went down. Then again it's the desert called California not much need to drain.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

10. Back To Top    #10

atttech, do you have a build thread? How do you like the pebble fina?

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

No build thread, the pebble fina is great the longevity was the primary selling point that and we wanted a darker finish we went with steal grey. We did get a little mottling but a no drain acid wash got rid of the steaks and the final look is something like dark granite. You can see the grey on the first step and baja shelf by the third step the water starts to turn blue and the deep end is a dark blue, my wife calls it Elvis because she says it looks like blue suede . From about 15 feet away the whole pool is dark blue. this is a distance picture during a recent rainstorm. I will post a couple of pics of the steps tomorrow.

IMG_1160.JPG Edit : Found a coupe on my phone IMG_0997.JPGIMG_0989.JPG
    Last edited by atttech-2; 05-03-2016 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added photos

12. Back To Top    #12

Water close to the pool for refilling and cleaning and waterline tile. I really regret not having the tile. Oh, and a bigger deck.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!
    atttech, your pool looks great!!! I love the color, we want a darker shade also...