Pool with spillover spa - Salt - treating spa separately?

Jun 13, 2015
Southborough, MA
We've just recently opened our pool/spa for our first season. The spa has a spillover which we can turn on/off. The spa has it's own filter and heating system. We have a salt system as well (Aquarite).

This time of year, it's still cool in the Northeast. I had been keeping the spa at 70 with the spillover turned off so that the colder pool water wasn't circulating through the spa. Our pool company suggested two alternatives for treating the spa. The first would be using the spillover to circulate the pool water. But if I want to use and heat the spa separately, I'd have to turn off the spillover and treat with chlorine using a floating dispenser. He recommended 3 in. tablets and an adjustable chlorine dispenser. He also advised against too much chlorine as it can damage the heating coils?

Anyone treating their spa separately from the pool? Any thoughts/advice on floaty/chlorine, quantity, etc? Other alternatives?

If you decide to use trichlor tablets in your spa, I would go with 1" tablets in a 1" dispenser. Realize that this will raise your CYA over time and that trichlor is acidic, so it will likely drop your TA over time as well.

Another alternative to only sanitizing the spa would be a drop in SWG cell. Would be easy since your water already has salt in it. They are a bit more of an investment, but would not involve acidic and CYA trichlor. Here's an example of what's available in these products. I've heard fairly good reviews of these from other members on TFP. TechniChlor Hot Tub and Spa Saltwater System Chlorine Generator

Another alternative to only sanitizing the spa would be a drop in SWG cell. Would be easy since your water already has salt in it. They are a bit more of an investment, but would not involve acidic and CYA trichlor. Here's an example of what's available in these products. I've heard fairly good reviews of these from other members on TFP. TechniChlor Hot Tub and Spa Saltwater System Chlorine Generator

Interesting . . . I've never heard of this unit. So does this attach to the spa's filter system similar to the Aquarite/pool unit? Is it something easily installed?

I concur, it would be way easy to make a SWG for just your spa, I did the inline Megachlor from that site, seems they only sell the conversion kits now but you can make one. You just buy a tee in your size pipe and have 1 end of the T down to a 1.5 inch threaded connections like below, and this is the one I bought just an inline MegaChlor Pool Saltwater System Chlorine Generator

MCIL-KIT-2T.jpg

Here is my setup, I know it does not look pretty but it does not leak :)

kNURR8Nh.jpg

I think I'd have to do an inline. I noticed the unit above is designed for spas up to 1000 gallons. My spa is 9'x10'x3.5' (approx. 2600 gallons). I'm fairly comfortable doing plumbing work with pvc.

those can be done inline and I agree, that is the only way I would do it, the megachlor is good for pools/spa's up to 15,000 gallons, so perfect for you :)
MegaChlor Pool Saltwater System Chlorine Generator

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.