Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool with spillover spa - Salt - treating spa separately?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool with spillover spa - Salt - treating spa separately?

We've just recently opened our pool/spa for our first season. The spa has a spillover which we can turn on/off. The spa has it's own filter and heating system. We have a salt system as well (Aquarite).

This time of year, it's still cool in the Northeast. I had been keeping the spa at 70 with the spillover turned off so that the colder pool water wasn't circulating through the spa. Our pool company suggested two alternatives for treating the spa. The first would be using the spillover to circulate the pool water. But if I want to use and heat the spa separately, I'd have to turn off the spillover and treat with chlorine using a floating dispenser. He recommended 3 in. tablets and an adjustable chlorine dispenser. He also advised against too much chlorine as it can damage the heating coils?

Anyone treating their spa separately from the pool? Any thoughts/advice on floaty/chlorine, quantity, etc? Other alternatives?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool with spillover spa - Salt - treating spa separately?

If you decide to use trichlor tablets in your spa, I would go with 1" tablets in a 1" dispenser. Realize that this will raise your CYA over time and that trichlor is acidic, so it will likely drop your TA over time as well.

Another alternative to only sanitizing the spa would be a drop in SWG cell. Would be easy since your water already has salt in it. They are a bit more of an investment, but would not involve acidic and CYA trichlor. Here's an example of what's available in these products. I've heard fairly good reviews of these from other members on TFP. TechniChlor Hot Tub and Spa Saltwater System Chlorine Generator
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Another alternative to only sanitizing the spa would be a drop in SWG cell. Would be easy since your water already has salt in it. They are a bit more of an investment, but would not involve acidic and CYA trichlor. Here's an example of what's available in these products. I've heard fairly good reviews of these from other members on TFP. TechniChlor Hot Tub and Spa Saltwater System Chlorine Generator
    Interesting . . . I've never heard of this unit. So does this attach to the spa's filter system similar to the Aquarite/pool unit? Is it something easily installed?

4. Back To Top    #4

It just drops into the spa, drapes over the side. No installation. Plug it in, drop it in, turn it on, set a power level. Meant for use in stand-alone spas.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I concur, it would be way easy to make a SWG for just your spa, I did the inline Megachlor from that site, seems they only sell the conversion kits now but you can make one. You just buy a tee in your size pipe and have 1 end of the T down to a 1.5 inch threaded connections like below, and this is the one I bought just an inline MegaChlor Pool Saltwater System Chlorine Generator

MCIL-KIT-2T.jpg

Here is my setup, I know it does not look pretty but it does not leak

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

I think I'd have to do an inline. I noticed the unit above is designed for spas up to 1000 gallons. My spa is 9'x10'x3.5' (approx. 2600 gallons). I'm fairly comfortable doing plumbing work with pvc.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Lpaul626 View Post
    I think I'd have to do an inline. I noticed the unit above is designed for spas up to 1000 gallons. My spa is 9'x10'x3.5' (approx. 2600 gallons). I'm fairly comfortable doing plumbing work with pvc.
    those can be done inline and I agree, that is the only way I would do it, the megachlor is good for pools/spa's up to 15,000 gallons, so perfect for you
    MegaChlor Pool Saltwater System Chlorine Generator
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    those can be done inline and I agree, that is the only way I would do it, the megachlor is good for pools/spa's up to 15,000 gallons, so perfect for you
    MegaChlor Pool Saltwater System Chlorine Generator
    So, in your pic, I assume you just drop and screw the unit into the T?