Switching to Z-Media in Sand Filter

MAndrews1

May 3, 2016
Toledo, OH
Good morning. I am planning on using a form of Z-Media this year once I open the pool. I see that you have to backwash the filter multiple times once adding the Z-Media to remove the dust, etc. My question is this....generally when I open the pool I have a bit of algae growth. If I am backwashing, won't this be drawing "dirty" water from the pool, causing difficulty to tell when the site glass is clear? One point I might add is that I do not currently have any sand in my filter. I removed it when I closed the pool last year.

Thanks.
Mark

I agree with Richard, do a little more research before you spend the bucks to Z-Media.

Generally what people think of as "filter" problems end up being chemistry problems.

Have you been following TFP guidelines? If not, as part of your research check,out Pool school and check out the FC/CYA relationship as well as information on stabilized chlorine vs non-stabilized.

Welcome to TFP!

In general we feel that sand almost never needs to be replaced and the few times it does is likely due to use of various magic in a bottle concoctions or Baqua-Slime when transitioning off of a baqua pool.

I've read a lot of online complaints about Z-media...be cautious.

I did have glass media in the last house/pool I owned and even though it's not as popular as sand in this
forum it worked very well for me at the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.