Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switching to Z-Media in Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Switching to Z-Media in Sand Filter

Good morning. I am planning on using a form of Z-Media this year once I open the pool. I see that you have to backwash the filter multiple times once adding the Z-Media to remove the dust, etc. My question is this....generally when I open the pool I have a bit of algae growth. If I am backwashing, won't this be drawing "dirty" water from the pool, causing difficulty to tell when the site glass is clear? One point I might add is that I do not currently have any sand in my filter. I removed it when I closed the pool last year.

Thanks.
    Mark

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Switching to Z-Media in Sand Filter

Welcome, Mark!

Unless your water is a viscous sludge, I doubt you'll even see the tint through the sight glass.

Before you go spending big bucks on sand replacements, take a minute to use the search box up in the right corner for Zeosand or Zeolite and see what others have experienced. Also worth a look: My findings on how not all sand is created equal
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Richard, do a little more research before you spend the bucks to Z-Media.

Generally what people think of as "filter" problems end up being chemistry problems.

Have you been following TFP guidelines? If not, as part of your research check,out Pool school and check out the FC/CYA relationship as well as information on stabilized chlorine vs non-stabilized.

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys

5. Back To Top    #5

In general we feel that sand almost never needs to be replaced and the few times it does is likely due to use of various magic in a bottle concoctions or Baqua-Slime when transitioning off of a baqua pool.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

I've read a lot of online complaints about Z-media...be cautious.

I did have glass media in the last house/pool I owned and even though it's not as popular as sand in this
    forum it worked very well for me at the time.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.