Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bought house with green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Bought house with green pool

I just bought a house last fall, and the pool was green when I moved in. I winterized the pool green, after spending a lot of money trying to follow the pool store instructions. Now I'm opening my green pool.
    Please let me know if I'm going the right direction... I bought the pool testing kit recommended on this site and have the following
    CYA less than 20
    TA 110
    PH more than 8.2
    CH 125
    FC 0
    Based on pool math I just put 62 oz of pool stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer, with filter running.
    After 48 hrs I'll retest and get the pH to 7.7. After that I will attempt slamming with liquid chlorine by get FC up 16. Does this sound correct?
    I also bought some algaecide (dimethyl a benzyl ammonium chloride), what are the forums' thoughts on using the algaecide to speed up the process?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bought house with green pool

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on your new pool!

You are on the right track. Nice work! Liquid chlorine or bleach, whichever is most convenient and best deal. LC is usually 10% and bleach is usually 8.25%. Skip the algaecide, contrary to the name, it doesn't kill algae. Many bottles actually admit that on the label. Lower your PH to 7.2 and then SLAM away. Scoop out as much junk as you can with a leaf rake. Brush the pool between testing and dosing more chlorine/bleach.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi! So nice to hear about the test kit! You will be so happy with it instead of the pool $tore!

You are heading to a clear pool already. Good job!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I forgot to mention... my pool has a Salt Water Generator (Zodiac Clearwater). I don't know if it works. The water is still cold, so I wasn't planning on turning it on until summer and after I manually get the water clean with bleach/liquid chlorine. I noticed the recommended CYA for SWG pools is higher, but since I'm not using the the SWG is it still okay to slam the pool at a CYA of 40? I just want to make sure I don't damage the cell.
    14600 gallon above viynl ground pool, sand filter, and Zodiac Clearwater SWG.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

You have it right! Leave the SWG off while you slam. It saves the cell for later. Go ahead and add the SWG to your signature..
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

It is fine to SLAM at 40 with a SWG.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

First day of slamming my pool. Added the liquid chlorine last night. I have a question on the PoolMath though. My liquid chlorine is Sodium hypochlorite and I don't see that option in the FC options. Its the same as bleach, so I used the handy "Effects of adding chemicals" section at the bottom. Just wondering why Sodium hypo isn't an option in the FC section or if it is the same as a different option.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

For PoolMath just use the top line for bleach

Add x of y% bleach. Jug size z.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks... I must of missed that it said bleach right in the text, my mistake.

So I did some testing during my slam:
    5/5/2016 6:30am
    FC 23
    CC 0.5

5/5/2016 11:45am
    FC 21
    CC 0.5

When I bought the house, the PVC pipe that connects multi-port value to the 8 prong thing in the sand was cracked and all of the sand was missing when I closed it last fall. I replaced the pvc pipe and put new filter sand in the filter. The starting pressure was at 15psi. After 3 days of running and cleaning the pumps skimmer basket, it is still at 15 psi. Any idea how fast the psi should be going up? I just want to make sure my filter is actually filtering. Is there anyway to know if the water is actually going through the sand and that the multi-valve isn't broken?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Does the gauge go to 0 when it's not running? Or a lower number in recirculate?

You could also put some DE in there to see if that makes the pressure go up.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, the gauge goes to 0 when I turn the pump off. I will try the recirculate suggestion when I get home this evening. Thanks.
    On a side note... the pressure gauge is also brand new, since the old one was broken.

12. Back To Top    #12

Depending on the condition of the water it may be a LONG while before you need to backwash the filter.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Last night I checked the water and it was FC=17 and CC=1. This morning it was still FC=17 and CC=1. I'm assuming that means the algae is dead, but the water is still very green so it must not be filtered out yet. Last fall, based on pool store recommendations, I pumped the pool full of algae killer, power floc, and winterizing chemicals... maybe that killed all the algae. I checked the filter and in the filter position it is at 15psi, in the recirculate position it is at 13psi.

My next plan of action is to try vacuuming the bottom of the pool through the filter, and then put a nylon sock over the skimmer basket. I know the power floc I used last year causes the algae to get heavier to sink to the bottom, is there any issues with putting that through my filter sand? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

14. Back To Top    #14

Slamming the pool works... the pool water is clear and everything is working great.

15. Back To Top    #15

Good job!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!