CC of 50

Thanks for the reply. If readings during first 30 days are not reliable, how do you know when you have reached FC/CYA level, if you start after 2 weeks?

Funny, Jacks does not advertise this as a 2 month process, and tons of bleach.

Thanks for the reply. If readings during first 30 days are not reliable, how do you know when you have reached FC/CYA level, if you start after 2 weeks?

Funny, Jacks does not advertise this as a 2 month process, and tons of bleach.
I think FC and CYA test should still be accurate.

JamesW had a lot of good info in the thread I linked, maybe he can chime in.

Not sure of the exact balance because of the effect of the Jack's product. I would measure total chlorine and treat it as free. Do an overnight chlorine loss test to see if the chlorine level is insufficient. Adjust fc upward as needed to pass the overnight chlorine loss test.

Not sure of the exact balance because of the effect of the Jack's product. I would measure total chlorine and treat it as free. Do an overnight chlorine loss test to see if the chlorine level is insufficient. Adjust fc upward as needed to pass the overnight chlorine loss test.
I saw measuring TC as FC in that thread, but it doesn't make much sense to me. With a CC of 50, where would all that FC come from?

Don't know what the hypochlorous acid or hypochlorite concentrations are. The chlorine will be in equilibrium with the cyanuric acid and the sulfamic acid. The best method that I can think of is trial and error. Try a total chlorine level and do an overnight chlorine loss test.

If the chlorine is sufficient, you will pass the oclt. If it's not, you won't because oxidizable wastes will accumulate. Also go by water quality and clarity and wait for the cc to eventually resolve.

Other than that, you could SLAM it until the cc is gone, but I suspect that that could cause the copper to come back out and stain.

Certainly don't want any stains, so SLAM is out. Pool is a little clearer today, first filter cleaning got a lot of white in wash out, 2nd filter cleaning was clearer. Waiting on new Test Kit to arrive then will take readings again.
Phosphates are also off the charts 2500 plus, pool did not cloud too bad until adding phosphate reducer.

We have a Banister that goes from bottom of pool up steps to the deck. What would cause the S/S banister to change color under the water line?

FC tested at 2.5 and CC was at 25 this morning, no SWG overnight. Cleaned filter again this morning, some white discharge, not nearly as much as over the weekend. Think the Phosphate remover is coming out. Noticed stain on inside of filter(new), pool is somewhat clearer this morning.
Still waiting on new kit, and sunshine to chek CYA.

New Kit arrived, WooHoo. Thea Slam is on!

PH:7.3
FC: 1
CC: 30
TC: 31
CH: 375
TA: 70
CYA:87(better half did 3 times 90,87,87)

calculator says:
884 oz of 10.5% bleach
15oz of washing or soda ash
81oz calcium chloride
Replace 8 % of my water

Being the only thingI have on hand is Liquid Chlorinating Product 10.5 % ($3.50 Gal), We are going to add the bleach, gather others in the morning, buy a couple of cases of Micro Brew and break out the ole vinyl 33's. It's Derby weekend and we are Slammminnn!!

Water is cloudy still. After Jacks # 2 Treatment (4/5/16 start) with purple or magenta stuff, can' remember at this point. Which ever is for SWG pools. Then 2 quarts of Phosphate remover(4/ 30/16), have been running pump 24/7 since start and have been cleaning filter twice daily for 10 days and brushing constantly( anybody want to arm wrestle).

What do you think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Numbers from 5/6/16:

8:00 AM: 3 Gallons of bleach 10.5%
FC: 17.5
CC: 56
TC: 73.5

2:30 PM: 2.5 Gallons
FC: 22.5
CC: 39.5
CH: ??? Turnedlightish pink, never turned blue same as other poster.
TA: 90
CYA: 82

4:30 PM:
FC: 34.5
CC.: 32.5 or 37

6:00PM: added 80Ounces
FC: 31
CC: 30

9:00 PM: added 13 Ounces
FC : 33.5
CC: 26

11:30 PM: Added 67 Ounces
FC: 31.5
CC: 27

5/7/16

6:30 AM: Added 13 Ounces
FC : 33.5
CC: 24 or 19 it was early (38 or 48 drops)

Just as in the Slam referenced above, my CH turned pinkish, and would not turn any shade of blue. Water is getting a lot clearer.

Should, I stick to original FC/CYA(34) guideline, or go with last CYA reading, taken during Slam? We also got a couple of inches of new water(rain).

Today's numbers:

8AM:
FC: 40(SWG Was on 60% overnight)
CC: 4.5

12 Noon:
FC: 38
CC4

3:30PM:
PH: 6.8
FC: 32
CC: 1.5
CH: 400
TA: 70
CYA: 82 Average of 4 test(90,80,82,75)

Not sure, if I should adjust the numbers other than FC. Do you adjust during Slam or wait until you pass the OCLT. Any suggestions?

With the CYA test, we usually round up to the next number, so your 87 is 90. And your 75 is 80. You can adjust your FC SLaM level accordingly, if you want to.

Just a note about the CYA test: In reality, the scale for the numbers isn't even so it's just easier to use the next number. For me, I just put enough mixture in to be at a number then look to see if the dot is gone, if not, I add to the next number. That way I only get an even value.

Evening update.

FC: 34
CC: .05

OCLT is in sight. Got a lot of milky white residue out of filter today, dead phosphates, and Algae.
Good to see a light at the end f the tunnel. First Slam ever, but have better understanding of process.

To anyone reading this, that does not have the Auto stirrer, Get One its a no brainier, makes testing so much easier.

James, I never had Copper, more of a de-scaling. Used #2 treatment with the Purple stuff. Did not get the results I was hoping for, it worked great where my return is near a step, and so-so all over. In order to try and save electric cost, I turned my pump down to 1200 RPM, thinking now that was too low.

If I ever try Jacks Magic again, I will confer a lot more with their phone Rep. He is all in on BBB.

Help, yesterday CC dropped to 0. In error I let the FC drop during the day since CC was 0. This morning FC had dropped from 26 to 17.5, to reach FC of 34, pool math called for 456 ounces of bleach. At 7 AM I added the required amount, test at 9AM showed FC of 45 with CC of 0.

Now I am totally lost and wondering?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.