I'm in a PH TA swing pickle

Sep 14, 2014
Southern CA
Hi, Never had this problem before but lately I find myself chasing high PH (7.9) with acid (14.5%) which in turn is lowering my TA (currently 54) then raising TA (to 80) with baking soda but still can't seem to get the PH down without my TA going way down again. Feel like I'm chasing my tail.
I try to keep PH at 7.8 and lower it slightly as the water warms up and TA 70-80 is usually where my pool settles in.
Any suggestions?
Water Temp 71
FC 4
PH 7.9
TA 54
CH 500
CYA 50
Salt 2390
Borates 50
CSI -0.18
CC .30

Don't confuse specificity of the results given by the ColorQ with accuracy. Many folks,when comparing results between Taylor reagents and the ColorQ report inaccuracy in its results.

Just letting you know how I came up TA = 54.
ColorQ although maybe not specifically accurate used on a daily basis lets me know how the pool is doing in general. I never use it for say CH or CYA and frequently check against the TF-100. It's a good test for chlorine which I test daily and while I'm at it do the PH and TA. Once you get the "feel" of the range of the test it works for me - Quick and easy. I really think the Chlorine and PH tests are spot on or at least within 0.1 PPM. However TA has been off up to 10 to 15PPM - but at least I'm aware of that.

Why would you use something that is inaccurate and sometimes off, as you mentioned.

Since you asked for suggestions, I'd suggest sticking with one kit and stop adding BS to manipulate the TA as Blizzile suggests. Focus on pH, and it may well reach a steady point and stabilize at a TA lower than 80.

Why would you use something that is inaccurate and sometimes off, as you mentioned.

Since you asked for suggestions, I'd suggest sticking with one kit and stop adding BS to manipulate the TA as Blizzile suggests. Focus on pH, and it may well reach a steady point and stabilize at a TA lower than 80.

Appreciate the suggestion - I'll do that... Is a stable PH of 7.8 too high still? By the end of May my water temp is usually around 78. What do you think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.