Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fas/dpd test

1. Back To Top    #1

Fas/dpd test

Sorry to ask if it's been answered which in assuming but read around and couldn't locate it. I have read to do a ph and tc test daily. Test ch, TA and cya weekly. Best other(borayes) monthly. So how often do you dot the free chlorine/combined chlorine test??? Weekly? Every couple days? Every day?
    19k 15x36' inground oval vinyl lined pool with deep end. 3 returns , 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Fas/dpd test

It varies by person to person, but largely depends on how well you have your chemistry down. If you have a good idea of your pools appetite for chlorine then you can use the OTO test daily to confirm that the chlorine is roughly where you think it should be, and FAS-DPD every few days. If you don't have a good grasp on it yet, or you really like precise numbers, then there is nothing wrong with doing it daily.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    It varies by person to person, but largely depends on how well you have your chemistry down. If you have a good idea of your pools appetite for chlorine then you can use the OTO test daily to confirm that the chlorine is roughly where you think it should be, and FAS-DPD every few days. If you don't have a good grasp on it yet, or you really like precise numbers, then there is nothing wrong with doing it daily.

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. Seeing this is my first year with a new pool I probably should do it more often to get a good idea of the chemistry of my pool.
    19k 15x36' inground oval vinyl lined pool with deep end. 3 returns , 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I am near you and in our latitude without a SWG, many of us keep our CYA on the low side. That means our FC range is also low. If you use the 10ml sample test, the number of drops of reagent you use is pretty minimal. Better safe than...

5. Back To Top    #5

I use the FAS-DPD test almost exclusively since I run my FC over the 5ppm that the OTO test tops out at. It takes no time at all. So when I test, aprox every other day it is FC/CC and pH.

Fiberglass pools don't need a mess of calcium so I do that monthly. TA usually weekly, and CYA maybe twice a season.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain