Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Season, Old Problems! Staining...

1. Back To Top    #1

New Season, Old Problems! Staining...

Hi, I have been using the BBB method for the last two summers and overall it's done a good job of keeping algae away. I have been using a combination of bleach and triclor tablets for chlorination. However, I have always had a problem with yellow/green staining of the entire plaster surface of the IG pool. Vitamin C tablets on the stain makes it go away locally. I did the procedure mentioned here on TFP involving a few pounds of vitamin C powder, and it worked at first...but the stain just reappeared over the coming weeks. Even with liberal use of sequestrant. This has been very frustrating, and am at the point of draining the pool and hiring someone to acid wash and take care of it.

As of today, coming out of the winter here in San Diego, here are my numbers:

pH: 8.0
    FC: 8.0
    CC: 0.0
    CYA: >100, maybe 150
    CH: 360
    TA: 120
    Temp: 68F
    TDS: 2000
    Iron: 0ppm
    Copper: The test strips were mostly useless but seemed to indicate I have less than 1ppm of copper
    Pool: 15k gal IG plaster, DE filter, water is 2yrs old

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the stain and more importantly keep it from coming back? I am considering draining the pool to get the CYA, CH, and TDS numbers down, but I don't want to go through that expense unless it will help with my staining problem.

Here is a pic that shows what I mean. It is looking down into the water at my step. You will see a yellowish/greenish stain that is the bane of my existence.

Thanks for anything you are able to suggest to help!

IMG_0125.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Season, Old Problems! Staining...

Do you know what the source of the copper is? Algaecide? Copper heat exchanger and PH below 7.0? Do you have a heater? Mineral system?

Please add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

What are you using to test? What do you keep your FC at? Your CYA is quite high.

26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Your pH is too high! Lower it and keep it lowered.....down to about 7.4 and then KEEP it there.

If you'll do that, I'll bet your staining issues will be dramatically reduced.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by wertygrog View Post
    Hi, I have been using the BBB method for the last two summers and overall it's done a good job of keeping algae away. I have been using a combination of bleach and triclor tablets for chlorination. However, I have always had a problem with yellow/green staining of the entire plaster surface of the IG pool. Vitamin C tablets on the stain makes it go away locally. I did the procedure mentioned here on TFP involving a few pounds of vitamin C powder, and it worked at first...but the stain just reappeared over the coming weeks. Even with liberal use of sequestrant. This has been very frustrating, and am at the point of draining the pool and hiring someone to acid wash and take care of it.

As of today, coming out of the winter here in San Diego, here are my numbers:

pH: 8.0
    FC: 8.0
    CC: 0.0
    CYA: >100, maybe 150
    CH: 360
    TA: 120
    Temp: 68F
    TDS: 2000
    Iron: 0ppm
    Copper: The test strips were mostly useless but seemed to indicate I have less than 1ppm of copper
    Pool: 15k gal IG plaster, DE filter, water is 2yrs old

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the stain and more importantly keep it from coming back? I am considering draining the pool to get the CYA, CH, and TDS numbers down, but I don't want to go through that expense unless it will help with my staining problem.

Here is a pic that shows what I mean. It is looking down into the water at my step. You will see a yellowish/greenish stain that is the bane of my existence.

Thanks for anything you are able to suggest to help!
    Welcome to TFP

I see you have been reading the site for a while so you know some of what we recommend and that is good.. Please do the extended CYA test, use 1 quart pool water and 1 quart tap water mixed together and then test your CYA, that will give us a better idea of where your CYA is.

If your CYA is 120 (just an example) your FC minimum would be 9 and your daily target would be 14, it goes much higher if your CYA is really 150
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **