Hot tub water turning translucent green after adding Shock

This is a classic example of metals in your water (iron or copper most likely), the question then becomes how did it get there. The answer is either in your fill water or through something you put in the tub. Many algaecides contain copper, so do many mineral systems, if you can tell us more about how you care for your tub we may be able to isolate how this likely happened.

Welcome to TFP :) Yep, that real pretty bright green usually means metal in the water... Could you update your signature with your spa/equipment, it makes it easier to help :)

also, is you fill from a well?

Trouble Free Pool

If you're on well (and I suppose even if not) Metal Gone spa metal sequestrant will clear iron tint for sure, with maintenance dosing of Metal Defender. (It what I use in the hot tub and my raw well water has 2 ppm iron. I also started using a Prefresh Filter last season, which helps to a degree IME.)

But if you're not on well, and there's no metal in your source water, changing the water might be the solution.

Thank you all so much for the quick responses!!! I will update my signature with our pool/spa specs and equipment too. The "shock" we used was not chlorine, it was specifically for hot tubs, but I don't have the name of it to memory. I believe it's just simply time to change the water out as it's new to us, our 1st tub to own, and we've had it going since March, and have used it often. So happy to have a positive feedback website to post & get info from. Thank you!!!

Is it "Spaguard Brominating Concentrate"? (Dichlor and bromide)

I have a container of that and I think that's what has been turning my spa green too. Does it happen right away when you add the sanitizer? You can search my earlier thread on my green spa...

Marc

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.