Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hot tub water turning translucent green after adding Shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Hot tub water turning translucent green after adding Shock

Hot tub water was clear then I added shock. It turned a clear green. What happened and how do I fix it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hot tub water turning translucent green after adding Shock

Can you be more specific about what chemical you added? "Shock" could mean just about anything.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

This is a classic example of metals in your water (iron or copper most likely), the question then becomes how did it get there. The answer is either in your fill water or through something you put in the tub. Many algaecides contain copper, so do many mineral systems, if you can tell us more about how you care for your tub we may be able to isolate how this likely happened.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP Yep, that real pretty bright green usually means metal in the water... Could you update your signature with your spa/equipment, it makes it easier to help

also, is you fill from a well?

Trouble Free Pool
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

Emerald green would point to Copper. Sickly green is more likely Iron. Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you're on well (and I suppose even if not) Metal Gone spa metal sequestrant will clear iron tint for sure, with maintenance dosing of Metal Defender. (It what I use in the hot tub and my raw well water has 2 ppm iron. I also started using a Prefresh Filter last season, which helps to a degree IME.)

But if you're not on well, and there's no metal in your source water, changing the water might be the solution.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all so much for the quick responses!!! I will update my signature with our pool/spa specs and equipment too. The "shock" we used was not chlorine, it was specifically for hot tubs, but I don't have the name of it to memory. I believe it's just simply time to change the water out as it's new to us, our 1st tub to own, and we've had it going since March, and have used it often. So happy to have a positive feedback website to post & get info from. Thank you!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Is it "Spaguard Brominating Concentrate"? (Dichlor and bromide)

I have a container of that and I think that's what has been turning my spa green too. Does it happen right away when you add the sanitizer? You can search my earlier thread on my green spa...

Marc
    Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.

9. Back To Top    #9

If this is your first hot tub and you just bought it you may want to read How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)? and Used Spa
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~