Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy...cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

New guy...cloudy water

Found this site this year and have read all I can. Began by buying the recommended test kit and adjusting my green water, ph and salt, before doing the recommended slam. Added the require CYA, as mine was zero, then the chlorine. Pool turned from green to cloudy with little drop in chlorine after 1 hr. Brought it back up and it stayed in the slam range for several hours and remained there the next morning, but cloudy. Let the pump run for 2 weeks but never cleared. Still hasn't. So, I retested water today and did another slam after reading most cloudy water conditions are due to an algae problem. 5 hrs later, chlorine is still 25 and cloudy. I Need some help!
    Current numbers
    FC 25....has been at least 6 for 2 weeks
    CYA 60
    Ph 7.2
    TA 70
    salt 3400
    Ca 100
    Intellichlor IC40
    pentair Superflo 1hp
    Sand Dollar Filter
    vinyl 18x40
    taylor k-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New guy...cloudy water

Welcome to TFP!!!

I think you may have missed the all important M part of the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

With a CYA of 60ppm, you need to maintain the FC level at 24ppm until you pass the 3 criteria to stop ... one of which is clear water. This process can takes days to over a week.

Given that your FC does not appear to be dropping much, you might now be having a filter problem. Sand filters are the slowest to clear up the cloudiness.

I would suggest you try Deep Cleaning your Sand Filter and if you do not see daily improvement after that, you could Add DE to your Sand Filter to help clear it up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

I think Jason's got you covered. You need to maintain the high FC levels and possibly clean the filter. And once you know the sand isn't clumped up and channeled, maybe try adding some DE or cellulose. It won't take much, so see if you can beg a coffee can's worth from a neighbor... or the neighbor's pool guy.

It can take a lot of bleach. Hopefully not as much as this guy used.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I do appreciate the help! After 4 years and never even hearing of this, I'd say I got some filter cleaning to do. Also right in that I kind of missed the M part. I'll try to post an update. Thanks again
    Intellichlor IC40
    pentair Superflo 1hp
    Sand Dollar Filter
    vinyl 18x40
    taylor k-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

More problems. Trying to clean the sand dollar filter. Removed cap as video showed. Pipe on the inside will not disconnect from valve on the inside. Which in trying to remove it, I have pulled the pipe upwards a couple of inches, and now it won't return to original position. I'm sure it has sand under it preventing it from going back down. I've tried to go ahead and clean the sand, but can't get to it properly because of all that is in the way. What I have already seen is that it is very dirty and I'm sure it was my original problem. Somebody please help. What are my options?
    Intellichlor IC40
    pentair Superflo 1hp
    Sand Dollar Filter
    vinyl 18x40
    taylor k-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

DOH!!!

Well, at this point you are never going to get the stove pipe back attached to the laterals.

So, you now will have to remove all the sand to get the filter put back together. Then put some water in the filter and put the sand back in (or since you have to take it all out and it is dirty, I suppose you could just replace the sand).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

JW I did the same thing last year! I was just going to deep clean my sand BUT I managed to dislodge the pipe I ended up taking it all out using a shop vac. I filled up the vac then dumped the sand into my wheel barrow and cleaned it that way THEN put everything back together. Use great care putting the sand back in. Cover the pipe with a plastic cup so sand does not go down it. Fill the filter half way with water to soften the fall of the sand. Put the sand in by HAND fulls until the lats are well covered.

Kim:cat;
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Thx guys. Got it replaced. After seeing the sand it absolutely could have been used again, but I had already purchased some new sand. Live and learn!

I used a 2" cap over the 1.5" pipe and filled it some with water first. Will update with results in a day or two!
    Intellichlor IC40
    pentair Superflo 1hp
    Sand Dollar Filter
    vinyl 18x40
    taylor k-2006

9. Back To Top    #9

Glad you are up and running again
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, I'm running....but still cloudy! Only been about 36 hrs with the new sand though. Should I just wait and see if it clears? I have had no change in psi since restarting so I haven't backwashed. Suggestions?
    Intellichlor IC40
    pentair Superflo 1hp
    Sand Dollar Filter
    vinyl 18x40
    taylor k-2006

11. Back To Top    #11

Could try a little DE in the filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Looks like I'm going to have to. Still cloudy, but just slightly improved.
    Intellichlor IC40
    pentair Superflo 1hp
    Sand Dollar Filter
    vinyl 18x40
    taylor k-2006

13. Back To Top    #13

As of today, current readings.
    ph 7.4
    FC 7
    TA 80
    CA 80
    CYA 60

water has cleared a little as the days go by. Remains on 24 hrs. I have attempted to locate DE at multiple pool stores in two different cities.....and they all seem confused and of course don't have any. Ordering from Amazon unless others have a better idea. I did want to ask (embarrassed to admit this here), when purchasing sand to replace in my filter the store insisted I only needed 200 lbs and anything more would risk blowing sand into the pool. Even though my filter recommends 350 lbs. now I'm wondering if this is why my pool isn't clearing up!
    Intellichlor IC40
    pentair Superflo 1hp
    Sand Dollar Filter
    vinyl 18x40
    taylor k-2006

14. Back To Top    #14

It probably is not the problem, but I'd use the recommended amount. But, I'll say this, it may not need 350. What I do is fill up the filter until it meets the point where the dome starts, I hope that makes sense... when the straight wall begins to curve, that's enough.

Your FC is too low for SLAM.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

15. Back To Top    #15

Does make sense and I will do that the next time I have the top off. Do I need to perform another SLAM if the water is clearing and the FC is holding steady?
    Intellichlor IC40
    pentair Superflo 1hp
    Sand Dollar Filter
    vinyl 18x40
    taylor k-2006

16. Back To Top    #16

One of the criteria to stop the SLAM is that your water is crystal clear. You should never have stopped ... remember the MAINTAIN part?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JWMoore View Post
    Does make sense and I will do that the next time I have the top off. Do I need to perform another SLAM if the water is clearing and the FC is holding steady?
    You need to SLAM until you meet all 3 criteria.
    You are done when:
    CC is 0.5 or lower;
    You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    And the water is clear.

To be clear, this means that you maintain the shock level FC until you meet those criteria. Maintain meaning don't let the FC drop down below shock level.
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm sure this question has been asked on this site many times, but I have not seen the answer in the SLAM procedure, or on any other threads. That question is.....In order to stop the SLAM process, how clear is "clear"??

I know that eventually we want the water crystal clear, like looking through glass. But, does it have to be that clear to stop SLAM? Or, are we talking clear enough to see drains in a 8 foot deep end, or clear enough to see a certain sized object in the bottom of the deep end? How "clear" is clear enough to stop SLAM?
    Bruce - (The SmartJack was an invention of mine, and became my nickname)
    Fox Pool 40x27 IG Vinyl, Lagoon Shape, 27,000 gallons, Hayward 300,000 BTU heater
    Hayward 1.5 HP, 2-Speed SuperPump, with Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter
    Polaris C-310 ORP Controller, modified to pump Liquid Chlorine
    Hayward Phantom, and Aquabot Turbo T-Jet automatic pool cleaners, Taylor K-2006

19. Back To Top    #19

I want to be able to read the date on a quarter thrown in the bottom of my 9' deep end.

Clear is clear. It should not be cloudy AT ALL.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

20. Back To Top    #20

So, adding the DE worked like a charm. Within a couple of days the pool was clear. I backwashed once when I noticed the pressure required it. Replaced the DE after that and haven't needed to since. I've got so much DE (14 lbs for $25 I think) that I will likely just keep adding DE after a backwash
    Intellichlor IC40
    pentair Superflo 1hp
    Sand Dollar Filter
    vinyl 18x40
    taylor k-2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast