First real test - new k2005 test kit

Apr 18, 2016
iowa
So here are my numbers after going from test strips to the new k2005 kit. Have to say for anybody doubting if the good test kit is worth the money .... It is!!! The strips where a pain compared to the kit. Never knew if I looked at the strip right or not. I was Always second guessing my self

Fc-3
Cc-0
Ph-7.8
TA-260 (not expecting)
Ch-550( not surprised)
Cya- 45

I added enough dry acid to bring my pH down to 7.0 and I will aerate to bring my pH back up. From what I read my TA will come down over time of balancing ph. I think I'm on the right track?

I knew what I was and wasn't getting with the k-2005. I went back and forth for over a week trying to decide for a kit. Ultimately I decided for $30 rather than $65 and my short window of time that I will have my pool up that the k-2005 kit would work for me. It's not the Cadillac but it's a lot better than the strips.I think It will do what I need to do. I can always add the dpd kit.

I am worried about my TA number. I tested my pool water twice and tap water once( 250 also ) just be sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Is that something I need to be concerned about?

I knew what I was and wasn't getting with the k-2005. I went back and forth for over a week trying to decide for a kit. Ultimately I decided for $30 rather than $65 and my short window of time that I will have my pool up that the k-2005 kit would work for me. It's not the Cadillac but it's a lot better than the strips.I think It will do what I need to do. I can always add the dpd kit.

I am worried about my TA number. I tested my pool water twice and tap water once( 250 also ) just be sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Is that something I need to be concerned about?
That high TA will push the pH up really fast, so don't be alarmed that your pool has an unquenchable thirst for acid. When you adjust pH, target 7.2 each time. With high CH and high TA you're more likely to develop scale if the pH is allowed to get too high, but otherwise, TA by itself is no problem. You've been bathing in and drinking the same water with no ill effects, right?

I'm hoping that my pool's thirst for Acid and consistent ph Drops will bring my TA (down sooner than later) to the "sweet spot" so i'm not always having to chase a fast rising PH all the time. Knowing my luck it will finally happen about the the time I need to drain for the year.

Good Point Richard with the Bathing and Drinking comment, makes me feel better and less concerned. Until you said that i had not thought of it that way before. :thumleft:

Last edited:
Tested my pool again last night 24 hours after dropping my Ph from 7.8 to 7.0 and aerating. I did not have a chance to test what the PH actually bottomed out at.

fc-5
cc-0
ph-7.4
Ta-225
Ch-550
CYA-45
salt-2150

Added salt last night to bring me up to 3000ppm and plan on bringing my cya to 70 and starting my SWG.

MY only question is with my PH. Is it plausible to think that aerating for 12 hrs would have had a significant increase in my ph going from 7.0 to 7.4 in 24 hrs. Or can most of the rise be contributed to my Ta pushing it up that fast. I'm trying to gain an understanding of how often i will need to test and drop my ph. At this point my pool has been covered and shaded and has little to no FC chlorine extinction so i have not had to do a lot of testing while my Test kit was on order.

I know that there is not a definite answer and there are many variables to consider. How often is everybody else testing there pools?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.