For those of us that still have a landline

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Hey gang,

Just wanted to give a heads up - Woot.com has a Uniden 5.8Ghz cordless phone system for sale today that includes a waterproof handset, which should be perfect for poolside. :goodjob: $49.99 + $5 shipping. I bought me one! :wink:

disclaimer - I'm not employed or receive any compensation of any kind from woot.com for any referrals. Just trying to help my fellow pool owners out.

I picked one of these up a few weeks ago at a Leslie's pool store. It is as advertised so far. Great phone, I'm going to pick up a second one.

It has good range and sound. It floats (and the first thing I did was throw it in the pool). And it has some rubber armor on it to take a few knocks.

Jim

I was hoping someone would have a good review of it. Thanks, makes me feel better about buying it!

I thought about just buying the waterproof handset by itself, but when I googled it, turns out it's more expensive by itself than the system is on Woot. Go figure. BTW, the system on Woot is supposedly new, and not refurbished.

I have had an old Uniden 900 MHz waterproof set for years. Range was highly disappointing but worked great once I got the base unit close enough to the pool. It's still going strong after eight years on the original battery pack. (Always gave it a home inside during the winter). Glad to know they finally have a 5.8--might be time for an upgrade.

I hope I'm not a buzz kill but we bought the Uniden set Costco with the waterproof handset and the voice quality is so bad I won't use them unless I have to. I always reach for my trusty cell phone instead.

cobra46 said:
I hope I'm not a buzz kill but we bought the Uniden set Costco with the waterproof handset and the voice quality is so bad I won't use them unless I have to. I always reach for my trusty cell phone instead.

We bought a Costco Uniden set with an outdoor handset also (probably the same one). Does not work that much better than the previous technology, but is just fine for us. I think it has a lot to do with distance and what it's going through. Does not go through refrigerators well and stucco walls really reduce the range. Nice, though to have a waterproof phone. Often it's only used as an intercom to 'call' to inside the house.

Steve

Wow, didn't even think of a waterproof phone. Nice. I actually ran an intercom to the pool. So, at least I can call out to the pool and into the home.

Yes, I still have a landline. lol It's connected to the intercom system though. It's pretty neat. Front and back door intercoms.... and pool intercom now. lol

I'd still like to get a waterproof phone!

I bought the set of these with the waterproof phone at Fry's about a year ago now. They "normal" phones that came with it have always worked fine... however, the waterproof model would lose volume from the earpiece after about 5 min. of use (to the point it was no longer usable).

After working with Uniden (very poor/frustrating experience) and having them send me 4 replacement phones... I finally have a working waterproof handset. (whole process took over 2 months to get right)

Nice to have around the pool but, I definately cannot recommend these to anyone given the number of 'bad' units I received from them.

Respectfully,
Panzer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.