Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: For those of us that still have a landline

1. Back To Top    #1

For those of us that still have a landline

Hey gang,

Just wanted to give a heads up - Woot.com has a Uniden 5.8Ghz cordless phone system for sale today that includes a waterproof handset, which should be perfect for poolside. $49.99 + $5 shipping. I bought me one!

disclaimer - I'm not employed or receive any compensation of any kind from woot.com for any referrals. Just trying to help my fellow pool owners out.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: For those of us that still have a landline

I picked one of these up a few weeks ago at a Leslie's pool store. It is as advertised so far. Great phone, I'm going to pick up a second one.

It has good range and sound. It floats (and the first thing I did was throw it in the pool). And it has some rubber armor on it to take a few knocks.

Jim
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

3. Back To Top    #3

I was hoping someone would have a good review of it. Thanks, makes me feel better about buying it!

I thought about just buying the waterproof handset by itself, but when I googled it, turns out it's more expensive by itself than the system is on Woot. Go figure. BTW, the system on Woot is supposedly new, and not refurbished.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Great set of phones. I bought a set last year and they have performed flawlessly. And of course I had to try the water proof to talk underwater. No dice, but at least it still works .
    Scott From Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

I have had an old Uniden 900 MHz waterproof set for years. Range was highly disappointing but worked great once I got the base unit close enough to the pool. It's still going strong after eight years on the original battery pack. (Always gave it a home inside during the winter). Glad to know they finally have a 5.8--might be time for an upgrade.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

6. Back To Top    #6

I hope I'm not a buzz kill but we bought the Uniden set Costco with the waterproof handset and the voice quality is so bad I won't use them unless I have to. I always reach for my trusty cell phone instead.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cobra46
    I hope I'm not a buzz kill but we bought the Uniden set Costco with the waterproof handset and the voice quality is so bad I won't use them unless I have to. I always reach for my trusty cell phone instead.
    We bought a Costco Uniden set with an outdoor handset also (probably the same one). Does not work that much better than the previous technology, but is just fine for us. I think it has a lot to do with distance and what it's going through. Does not go through refrigerators well and stucco walls really reduce the range. Nice, though to have a waterproof phone. Often it's only used as an intercom to 'call' to inside the house.

Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow, didn't even think of a waterproof phone. Nice. I actually ran an intercom to the pool. So, at least I can call out to the pool and into the home.

Yes, I still have a landline. lol It's connected to the intercom system though. It's pretty neat. Front and back door intercoms.... and pool intercom now. lol

I'd still like to get a waterproof phone!
    18' x 54" Round AG 7500 gallon w/small prefab 2-piece fandeck
    Waterways 200sf Cartridge Filter, 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. 2" pvc piping
    Pool Pilot Total Control swg w/acid tank feeder
    Pool Rover Jr., BBB, TF 100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I bought the set of these with the waterproof phone at Fry's about a year ago now. They "normal" phones that came with it have always worked fine... however, the waterproof model would lose volume from the earpiece after about 5 min. of use (to the point it was no longer usable).

After working with Uniden (very poor/frustrating experience) and having them send me 4 replacement phones... I finally have a working waterproof handset. (whole process took over 2 months to get right)

Nice to have around the pool but, I definately cannot recommend these to anyone given the number of 'bad' units I received from them.

Respectfully,
    Panzer
    8500 gal. (15'x24') Zodiac AG, Hayward Perflex DE filter system w/ 1 hp pump,
    Nature2 sanitizer, Rheem105K BTU NG Heater
    TF-100 + Oakton pHTestr 30