TA test temperature dependent?

tltmom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Urbana, IL
Just starting SLAM process. I've been on TFP for a few years so I think I know what I need to do, except for one question. Water temperature is 54 degrees. Will that affect the TA test result? I would have expected my result to be lower than the number I'm getting (brand new TF 100 test kit being used). I want to make sure I'm right on the TA so I can get pH adjusted, TA reasonable, and get started with SLAM.
Thanks!

No, only the CYA might be affected by low temp if you do not let the water warm prior to testing.

TA is just about the least important parameter, usually. I would certainly not hold off a SLAM just to try to lower the TA.

Post up test results if you want feedback. With a SWG, I would want my TA in the 50-70ppm range.

Full test results-
FC 9.5
Cc 0.5
PH 8.2 +++ (very purple)
TA 80
CH not tested
Salt not tested
CYA not tested

Pool guys dumped in 3 gallons of shock and 2 bags of salt while I wasn't looking :/, so I let the water circulate for an hour before I got these test results.
The TA was 80-90 last fall on closing, I guess I thought it would have been diluted down a bit lower, and I know not to
Adjust pH unless I've got a decent TA (not too low). I can tweak TA later, but that pH needs some serious adjustment before I slam the pool. This excessive high pH seems to be present every spring. MA always takes care of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot- I'll test CYA before I SLAM, too.

Remember that the pH test can read artificially high when the FC > 10ppm ... you are right on the edge of that, so your pH might be reading a little high.

It is that "very purple", which makes me think it could be chlorine interference.

Remember that the pH test can read artificially high when the FC > 10ppm ... you are right on the edge of that, so your pH might be reading a little high.

It is that "very purple", which makes me think it could be chlorine interference.
My thoughts as well.

The pool has sat how many months with high pH? Another day while you let the chlorine work isn't going to wreck everything. Check out the pictures and see if that's the shade you're getting: Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007?

LOL I looked at that thread and my brain exploded. Too advanced for me. So to answer the pH question, I let the FC drop to 7.5. PH test still very purple. Adjusted it with MA to 7.6, now I'm ready to SLAM. For whatever reason my pool seems to start out like this every spring.
Thank you all for your input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.