Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA test temperature dependent?

1. Back To Top    #1

TA test temperature dependent?

Just starting SLAM process. I've been on TFP for a few years so I think I know what I need to do, except for one question. Water temperature is 54 degrees. Will that affect the TA test result? I would have expected my result to be lower than the number I'm getting (brand new TF 100 test kit being used). I want to make sure I'm right on the TA so I can get pH adjusted, TA reasonable, and get started with SLAM.
    Thanks!
    30000 gallon inground gunite pool
    Intelliflo ic-60 SWG, pentair tagelus sand filter, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, tf 100 test kit,
    2 kids(tl), 1 mini-dachshund/lab mix(t),
    Central Illinois

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA test temperature dependent?

No, only the CYA might be affected by low temp if you do not let the water warm prior to testing.

TA is just about the least important parameter, usually. I would certainly not hold off a SLAM just to try to lower the TA.

Post up test results if you want feedback. With a SWG, I would want my TA in the 50-70ppm range.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Full test results-
    FC 9.5
    Cc 0.5
    PH 8.2 +++ (very purple)
    TA 80
    CH not tested
    Salt not tested
    CYA not tested

Pool guys dumped in 3 gallons of shock and 2 bags of salt while I wasn't looking :/, so I let the water circulate for an hour before I got these test results.
    The TA was 80-90 last fall on closing, I guess I thought it would have been diluted down a bit lower, and I know not to
    Adjust pH unless I've got a decent TA (not too low). I can tweak TA later, but that pH needs some serious adjustment before I slam the pool. This excessive high pH seems to be present every spring. MA always takes care of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot- I'll test CYA before I SLAM, too.
    30000 gallon inground gunite pool
    Intelliflo ic-60 SWG, pentair tagelus sand filter, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, tf 100 test kit,
    2 kids(tl), 1 mini-dachshund/lab mix(t),
    Central Illinois

4. Back To Top    #4

Remember that the pH test can read artificially high when the FC > 10ppm ... you are right on the edge of that, so your pH might be reading a little high.

It is that "very purple", which makes me think it could be chlorine interference.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Remember that the pH test can read artificially high when the FC > 10ppm ... you are right on the edge of that, so your pH might be reading a little high.

It is that "very purple", which makes me think it could be chlorine interference.
    My thoughts as well.

The pool has sat how many months with high pH? Another day while you let the chlorine work isn't going to wreck everything. Check out the pictures and see if that's the shade you're getting: Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Richard, glad you swung by with that link so I did not have to go find it
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

LOL I looked at that thread and my brain exploded. Too advanced for me. So to answer the pH question, I let the FC drop to 7.5. PH test still very purple. Adjusted it with MA to 7.6, now I'm ready to SLAM. For whatever reason my pool seems to start out like this every spring.
    Thank you all for your input.

8. Back To Top    #8

You are supposed to lower the pH down around 7.2 before starting the SLAM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Will do. And I'll send myself back to pool school. I seem to have forgotten a few details during the winter