Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening pool test

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening pool test

I did the normal ph and chlorine test just to see where i was and the ph was yellow and no where close to any of the colors on my tester. K-1000. I'm assuming that is really low and i need to increase my ph. Am i wrong? Thanks!
    10.4K gallon 21' round Elixir AG
    Hayward 150lb Sand Filter/1.5 Hayward Pump/Hayward Diver Dave cleaner
    Pool installed 7/11/14. TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening pool test

Quote Originally Posted by IamWebb223 View Post
    I did the normal ph and chlorine test just to see where i was and the ph was yellow and no where close to any of the colors on my tester. K-1000. I'm assuming that is really low and i need to increase my ph. Am i wrong? Thanks!
    You're right. What is the TA, by chance? If it's below 50, raise it to at least 50 before you start messing with the pH. And even before that, did you let the water circulate a while before grabbing a sample? If there's a layer of rain or snowmelt on top, it'll read way off.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

No, I did not wait for it to circulate and there's some rain water that was on top. I did test about 6 inches below if that makes any difference. Thanks for the quick response.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by IamWebb223 View Post
    No, I did not wait for it to circulate and there's some rain water that was on top. I did test about 6 inches below if that makes any difference. Thanks for the quick response.
    Let it mix. You can speed it along by brushing. One lap around the perimeter ought to set up enough cross-currents to get it all mixed. Then retest. I'll bet things look better after.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

You all are good teachers. I brushed it before i started, but i also hooked up diver dave(wanted him to clean up the debris from brushing), ive since unhooked and am gonna let the water mix over night. I'll re-test in the morning and share results. Thanks again!

6. Back To Top    #6

I tested my TA and when i put in the drops the test water turned dark pink/red instantly instead of the green like it says it should. Suggestions?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Your TA is zero and your pH has bottomed out, likely lower than 5.

Add enough baking soda to increase your TA about 50-80 ppm and let that mix for an hour or two. Once you get a TA reading retest your pH and adjust from there.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok so now my TA is about 50-60 and my ph is low around 6.8 or so. If I'm understanding the TFP method, will Borax help increase my ph? Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

Yup! Good job! Your pH may even be lower so keep an eye on it.