Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heavy Residue in (IG cement) Spa, How to get it out?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heavy Residue in (IG cement) Spa, How to get it out?

I did some heavy construction on a patio adjacent to my pool last month, and demo'd a lot of saltillo tiles. Unfortunately, a lot of that dust went into the pool and spa. The spa is closer to the patio area, so it got a lot of dirt/dust in it. I have a Hayward poolvac for the pool, and it seemed to survive pretty well.

I completely cleaned my filter last weekend, and the grids held up OK, but I still have a lot of debris in the spa. Any suggestions for cleaning the silt/saltillo dust out of the spa, without ruining my DE filter again? I tried a little sump pump I had from my pool cover, but it didn't work too well. I guess I should have used the pool vac in the spa BEFORE I cleaned the filter again, but kinda forgot.

Any suggestions on how to clean the debris out of the spa?

thanks,
    Joel
    Carlsbad, CA
    17,500 gal rectangular Midnight blue Quartzscape, Pentair Intelliflo, Poolstore Vergnugen, Aquarite Salinator renovated 2016 Spring

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heavy Residue in (IG cement) Spa, How to get it out?

I am confused why you think the dust would damage the DE filter? Isn't that the job of the filter?

I would just put the suction on the spa and brush it into the drain.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I am confused why you think the dust would damage the DE filter? Isn't that the job of the filter?

I would just put the suction on the spa and brush it into the drain.
    Great minds think alike!

I'd set the valves to empty the spa into the pool and brush the stuff into the drain. If, however, you're talking about an inch thick layer or something... empty the spa down as low as you dare and climb in with a wet-n-dry shop vacuum and remove the layer of sludge that way.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, the saltillo dust coated my DE filter pretty heavily, so I was hoping to try to avoid it again, since the spa is in a limited space, I think I'll get in there with the pump again (don't have a wet/dry vac, but that would work too I'm sure) and see if I can get a decent amount out, then I'll use the filter for the rest. I appreciate the input,

Joel
    Carlsbad, CA
    17,500 gal rectangular Midnight blue Quartzscape, Pentair Intelliflo, Poolstore Vergnugen, Aquarite Salinator renovated 2016 Spring