Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low Pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Low Pressure

Happy Pool Opening Season!

I noticed the pressure on my filter was low, below 10, so I took apart the system and cleaned out the filters (cartridges) and cleaned them as they were pretty dirty. Put it all back together but alas, the pressure is still low. Any thoughts here? Is low not a big problem? The return lines seem to be blasting fine.
    Gunite. 14,869 Gallons. Hayward cartridge filter. Hayward Super Pump 1HP. Chlorine.
    Baltimore, MD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low Pressure

Normally you would think dirty filters would increase pressure. I would relate low pressure to something like no filters inside the housing (no resistance) or low flow (pressure) to the filter itself from the pump. But return jet output pressure seems good huh? Perhaps the gauge itself is beginning to fail and just now showing some indications this new season?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok. Thanks. Is there way to test the gauge?
    Gunite. 14,869 Gallons. Hayward cartridge filter. Hayward Super Pump 1HP. Chlorine.
    Baltimore, MD

4. Back To Top    #4

Ooh, test? I'm not aware of an easy way. But if you end-up trying to buy one, you can get one at TFTestkits.net for just over $12, and they are good quality gauges.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RSAnative View Post
    Ok. Thanks. Is there way to test the gauge?
    Does it go to zero when the pump is off? If no, it's bad. It can still be bad if it froze over the winter even if it does go to zero.

A suction side air leak, even one caused by low water level or a stuck skimmer weir can give you low pressure. Are there a lot of bubbles inside the pump strainer basket when it's running?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Does it go to zero when the pump is off? If no, it's bad. It can still be bad if it froze over the winter even if it does go to zero.
    For what it's worth, I had to replace my pressure gauge last year after I noticed that it stayed at 10 psi whether running or not.
    24' Round Above Ground: 18K-ish Gallons - Vinyl - Bleach Chlorination - Waterway 1 HP pump with EcoKleer 19" Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

It goes to zero when the pumps off. No air leaks that I can see. When it's running the pump basket is clear of bubbles. I did notice something else; When I bleed the air on the top of the filter, it definitely doesn't sound like it's high pressure and then once the water comes out it immediately starts to flow slower coming out of the bleeder.
    Baltimore, MD

8. Back To Top    #8

You may have a partially blocked impeller. Remove the pump basket and feel inside the opening at the bottom of the pump housing. Remove any debris that may be stuck in there.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I did. I pulled out a few things that I could reach but nothing major. Do you think I have to take it apart?
    Baltimore, MD

10. Back To Top    #10

It is possible because something could have gotten stuck in the vanes. Given you pulled something out of the inlet, there is a good chance there is something stuck in the impeller vanes too.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok. Is that something an amateur like me can do without totally destroying the motor?
    Baltimore, MD

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes it is pretty easy for most pumps. What is your pump make and model?
    Mark

13. Back To Top    #13

Hayward Super Pump 1 HP.
    Baltimore, MD

14. Back To Top    #14

There are four bolts that hold the motor mounting plate to the wet end. Remove those four bolts and slide the motor backwards. The impeller will be attached to the motor shaft. You can then inspect and clear out any debris. It would be a good time to inspect the seal (without removing impeller) and any gaskets for cracks.
    Mark

15. Back To Top    #15

I'll try it after the storm.
    Baltimore, MD