Vacation for a week, what to do about PH?

zolakk

Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a fairly new plaster pool (January) and am still fighting almost daily PH creep, it'll go from 7.6 to 8.2 in a few days if I don't keep an eye on it. We are going on vacation for about a week soon and I was wondering what to do about that? I read a lot of threads that talk about chlorine but I wasn't able to find anything regarding PH, it seems for chlorine the advice is to bring it to shock levels and add a tab or two in a floater and let it fall while i'm gone. Using the same logic should I add acid till i'm at say 7.0 or lower and let it rise or should I do nothing and deal with the high PH when I get back? Having someone come by isn't likely to be an option, or else I would do that.

You could take your pH to the low end (7.2-ish) knowing it will rise fairly quickly anyways. I wouldn't go any lower though. You could also add a couple tri-chlor tabs to a floater which are acidic in nature and should also help to keep pH down a little. Of course tabs increase CYA too, so be aware of that. The Poolmath Calculator (link below) has a row at the bottom (Side Effects of Adding Chemicals) that can give you an idea of what to expect by using them. Hope that helps.

What is your CYA at now, if you can handle adding CYA for the week I think it may help keep your PH in the lower scale...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.