Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation for a week, what to do about PH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation for a week, what to do about PH?

I have a fairly new plaster pool (January) and am still fighting almost daily PH creep, it'll go from 7.6 to 8.2 in a few days if I don't keep an eye on it. We are going on vacation for about a week soon and I was wondering what to do about that? I read a lot of threads that talk about chlorine but I wasn't able to find anything regarding PH, it seems for chlorine the advice is to bring it to shock levels and add a tab or two in a floater and let it fall while i'm gone. Using the same logic should I add acid till i'm at say 7.0 or lower and let it rise or should I do nothing and deal with the high PH when I get back? Having someone come by isn't likely to be an option, or else I would do that.
    10,000 IG Plaster w/Spa | Hayward Colorlogic LED lights| Hayward C3030 Cartridge Filter | Hayward H400FDN 400k BTU Heater | Hayward SP3220EE TriStar 2 HP single speed pump | In-floor cleaning system | TF-100 | Build finished Jan 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation for a week, what to do about PH?

You could take your pH to the low end (7.2-ish) knowing it will rise fairly quickly anyways. I wouldn't go any lower though. You could also add a couple tri-chlor tabs to a floater which are acidic in nature and should also help to keep pH down a little. Of course tabs increase CYA too, so be aware of that. The Poolmath Calculator (link below) has a row at the bottom (Side Effects of Adding Chemicals) that can give you an idea of what to expect by using them. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

What is your CYA at now, if you can handle adding CYA for the week I think it may help keep your PH in the lower scale...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    What is your CYA at now, if you can handle adding CYA for the week I think it may help keep your PH in the lower scale...

It's currently at 50, so not too bad. We get a LOT of sun here too, so adding a bit more probably isn't going to be too bad.
    10,000 IG Plaster w/Spa | Hayward Colorlogic LED lights| Hayward C3030 Cartridge Filter | Hayward H400FDN 400k BTU Heater | Hayward SP3220EE TriStar 2 HP single speed pump | In-floor cleaning system | TF-100 | Build finished Jan 2016

5. Back To Top    #5

You should be good then. That CYA will come-in handy real soon.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!