Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Pressure at Pool Opening

1. Back To Top    #1

High Pressure at Pool Opening

I have a 12 X 27 onground/partially inground pool with a Hayward cartridge filter. Normally a fresh/clean filter starts at about 12.0-12.5 psi and I remove to clean at about 18.5-19.0. After I had my pool opened by my pool supplier crew I had to top up the water level before (a day later) starting it up myself. The discharge pressure started out at 17.5 psi. I was surprised by this since I bought a new filter last season and cleaned it well before storing it for the winter. In any case I decided to clean it with the special filter cleaner solution - immersed it overnight and cleaned out all the pleats with a hose. I didn't get much dirt out, since, as mentioned, I had cleaned it last fall at shutdown. I started up again and I have the same 17.5 psi reading; it's now 18.0 psi after circulating for 4 days. I have checked for air leaks on the suction side and any obvious obstructions or diversions on the discharge side but can't see anything. I hate to buy and try another new filter so soon, but I've run out of troubleshooting ideas.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Pressure at Pool Opening

Is the flow good? It could be as simple as a bad gauge.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard 320, the flow appears fine and the gauge is quite new and went through the full range of pressure while building up and eliminating air at startup. I'll check it out.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have been troubleshooting my entire discharge/pool return system to see if I can find the source of the highpressure problem. I have an "Aqua Genie" combined skimmer/jet system. I'm wondering if the outlets (jet flows) from the pressure chamber are restricted. There are two rows of jets - only the bottom row has flow and even it may be restricted. I'm going to check with my supplier how it is supposed to be working and if anything could have been done to restrict it in either the closing last fall or the recent opening. In the meantime... maybe someone out there is familiar with the Aqua Genie?