Not yet open and green and brown algae

someone stole all my cya out of my shed... either pool openners did it or my lawn guys... I'm furious.
But, my pool is clear, Is it swimmable?
CL is 2, I just added some shock
salt is at 3500, I figure one rain storm will bring it down a bit when I have to empty water so I'm leaving it on high side.
no metals per test at Leslies (I didn't have a metal test)
alkalinity is 80/90
cya is still 0. I did order it online... $55 for 25 lbs. Amazon.com : PuriTech Stabilizer Conditioner Cyanuric Acid UV Protection for Swimming Pools and Spas (25lbs) : Patio, Lawn Garden
ph 7.6
hardness is 220.

deep end streaks look awful. Any advice? No metals showed up, vitamin c didn't do a thing.

Water is 84 degrees.... is is calling my name.

As mentioned by others, getting your numbers in order is the first priority.

Do the stains feel rough or are they smooth? If you didn't pay attention to your PH and/or CH in the past, you could have had scale or you could have etched the plaster over time which is the equivalent of an acid wash. Of course, you could have had metals in the pool water prior to exchanging water. Of course, it could be a combination of the aforementioned things.

A clear photo of clear water of the deep end spots would be helpful.

I will try to get new pics. they are streaky and feel smooth...
I used my Taylor test kit and got strange readings today as I haven't put anything in other than CYA....
FC levels are at 2
PH 7.2
alkalinity is showing 140ish... No clue as to how it raised up like that, is there a way to lower it other than removing water?
Hardness is showing 650 (26 drops) and I didnt add hardness so I'm not sure if the test kit is bad (it's last years but it was stored indoors)
CYA still only 40 but I just crushed the socks some more, so we shall see.
salt 3500
temp 82

It would only let me upload 1 pic then it said I was over my limit???

I think stains are from guy who acid washed and did a bad job.... he then openned pool and added chemicals and we weren't home and it turned green as he added no salt and it was hot and we were away it was like this afterwards, they said it would get better and it never did.....

Guy used our well water after acid washing... which has iron in it. We did all this stuff to get rid of metals last year. Metal tests say no metals. We also dumped most of water this year on open... acid washing cleans this off but it's everywhere. Not sure that contraption would be worth $150 price tag...

waste of money getting acid wash as it looked worse after. or actually another mistake that is going to cost me more money.

Attachments

• IMG_2982.jpg
    IMG_2982.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 31
here are 3 pics of the streaks. As I said putting a chlorine puck didn't change it nor did vitamin c.... the culator packages didn't even change colors that I had bought, just in case, I bought another one and it's been in a few days and looks clean.
Pool Slideshow by maglib | Photobucket

Not yet ready to become a member, possibly but I'm paying for installation of 2 new LED lights and a few other things. Thanks.

Hayward makes an SWG rated for 40k gallons and Pentair makes one for 40k and one for 60k. You could upgrade to one of those. Or you can keep what you have and supplement the FC level with bleach or liquid chlorine to maintain target level FC for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart

The Jandy one I have is also rated for 40k gallons. I seem to have to shock it 1x a week to maintain anything higher than 1 during higher heat, it was at 2 when cloudy and that's running 12-14 hours. I think it's cheaper to just throw a scoop of shock in 1x weekly than the clorox as I'd need a ton of bleach and the huge pail of shock was only $40 after all the discounts and scoop gets it up to 3-4. That would be a ton of bleach and lots of room to store it.... as what's the equivalent amount of bleach to a scoop of shock? Each gallon is like $2 if I get it on sale.

- - - Updated - - -

vitamin c drop left on top of one section did nothing. Another section I actually tried to draw on the stain and also no change.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is your CYA? Bumping CYA to 80 will help protect the chlorine from the sun. But if your FC has been spending some time at 1 ppm there is a pretty good chance that there is some algae growing. Which will make it all the harder for the SWG to keep up. Doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test will tell for sure.

Toward the bottom of Poolmath is tool called Effects of Adding Chemicals, enter your gallons at the very top, weigh out a scoop in ounces, enter the number of oz and select the chemical. The shock is probably either dichlor or trichlor or maybe cal-hypo.

If Vit C doesn't lift the stain then it isn't metal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.